Iowa State's Koll Shatters Collegiate Record
More from Cyclones.tv
“The most amazing thing about the record is that she ran it in a race where there was no one pushing her,” Iowa State head coach Corey Ihmels said. “She is the fastest collegiate runner in history and now one of the fastest American runners ever at this distance.
At the same meet on the same track two years ago, Koll set the American Collegiate record with a 32:11.13 effort. She eclipsed that time Friday, breaking the previous collegiate record of 31:25.45 by Sally Kipyego of Texas Tech in 2008.
“It is really hard to put into words,” Koll said. “We had about the same running plan as we had two years ago. I just ran faster. In the last part of the race I heard the announcer say the collegiate record was within reach. When I ran by coach Ihmels he told me to keep the same pace. The fact that Sally Kipyego held the previous record affirms just what a tough record it was.”
Friday Koll ran away from the field and won by more 28 seconds. Krisztina Papp of Hungary was second in 31:46.47.
How fast was Koll’s race? Koll’s two 5,000-meter splits were 15:51 and 15:27. Angela Bizzarri of Illinois won the 2009 NCAA outdoor 5,000-meter title in 16:17.94. Danette Doetzel of Providence won the 10,000-meter run at the 2009 NCAA Championship in 33:25.71. Koll, running injured, was ninth in that race. The Fort Dodge native won the 2008 NCAA 10,000-meter crown at Drake Stadium in 32:44.95, lapping all but five runners, including three All-Americans.
“Her last two miles Friday night were under five minutes,” Ihmels said. Look at the all-time U.S. list and see the great runners who never ran as fast as Lisa did Friday night.”
All-time U.S. List:
1. 30:22.22 Shalane Flanagan (Nike) 8/15/08
2. 30:50.32 Deena Kastor (Asics) 5/03/02
3. 30:55.16 Kara Goucher (Nike) 8/15/08
4. 31:13.78 Amy Yoder (Nike) 8/15/09
5. 31:17.31 Jen Rhines (adidas) 4/29/07
6. 31:18.07 Lisa Koll (Iowa St) 3/26/10
7. 31:18.96 Amy Rudolph (adidas) 5/01/05
8. 31:19.89 Lynn Jennings (Nike International) 8/07/92
9. 31:21.20 Katie McGregor (Reebok) 8/06/05
10. 31:21.92 Elva Dryer (Nike) 5/01/05
All-time Collegiate List:
1. 31:18.07 Lisa Koll (Iowa St) 3/26/10
2. 31:25.45 Sally Kipyego' (Texas Tech) 5/04/08
3. 32:17.1 Christine McMiken' (Oklahoma St) 4/19/86
4. 32:19.97 Alicia Craig (Stanford) 4/30/04
5. 32:22.5 Kellie Cathey (Oklahoma) 4/25/82
6. 32:22.97 Carole Zajac (Villanova) 4/23/92
7. 32:28.57 Sylvia Mosqueda (CS Los Angeles) 6/01/88
8. 32:30.37 Amy Hastings (Arizona St) 4/29/07
9. 32:31.65 Amy Skieresz (Arizona) 4/24/97
10. 32:32.75 Stephanie Herbst (Wisconsin) 6/04/86