No. 17 Iowa State Opens Big 12 Dual Season Friday
AMES, Iowa – The No. 17 Iowa State wrestling team (2-0, 0-0 Big 12) opens the conference season Friday night at Hilton Coliseum, as it takes on Big 12 foe West Virginia at 7:30 p.m. CDT. Fans will be treated to another double-dual, as the Cyclones take on Midland at 5:30 p.m. CDT. Both West Virginia and Midland will be sticking around for the Harold Nichols Cyclone Open on Saturday. Wrestling begins at 9 a.m. and admission is free.
Where: Ames, Iowa - Hilton Coliseum (8,524)
When: Friday, Nov. 15, 5:30 p.m. CDT & 7:30 p.m. CDT
TV: Cyclones.tv powered by Mediacom | Channel Info Talent: Tom Kroeschell (PxP), Jim Gibbons (Color)
Live Stats: Live stats will be available at trackwrestling.com.
Live Blog: Michael DeBates, student assistant for athletics communications, will be holding a live blog during the double-dual .Fans are encouraged to participate in the blog by asking questions.
- Iowa State is 2-0 on the season and has won 12 of its last 14 duals dating back to a 19-15 at Rutgers on Jan. 19 last season.
- Through two duals, No. 4 Michael Moreno leads the team with eight takedowns, seven of which came in one match.
- Head coach Kevin Jackson is seeking his 40th career dual victory Friday night. Jackson, who is in his fifth season at the helm, is 39-30 overall.
- The Cyclones dropped one spot in the latest USA Today/NWCA/AWN Coaches poll this week to No. 17.
- Four of the five top teams in the USA Today/NWCA/AWN Coaches Poll are on the Cyclones dual schedule this season: No. 2 Minnesota (Feb. 23), No. 3 Iowa (Dec. 1), No. 4 Oklahoma State (Jan. 24) and No. 5 Oklahoma (Jan. 5).
- The Cyclones lost just two seniors (NCAA-qualifier Max Mayfield and All-American Matt Gibson) from a team that went 11-5 in dual competition last season and 3-3 in the Big 12.
Last Time Out
- The Cyclones picked up two dual wins to open the 2013-14 season on Nov. 7 over Drexel (24-16) and Grand View (22-18) at Hilton Coliseum.
- Three Iowa State grapplers picked up their first career wins: Kyle Larson, Dakota Bauer and Lelund Weatherspoon.
- At 125 pounds, Larson picked up the major decision 13-4 over Grand View’s Ernesto Escobar. The West Des Moines, Iowa native, racked up 3:53 seconds of riding time in the match.
- At 133 pounds, Bauer earned his first win by way of a 12-5 decision over Grand View’s Angelo Crinzi.
- At 184 pounds, Weatherspoon impressed going 2-0 including a 17-6 win by major decision over Drexel’s Alex DeCiantis. The Jackson, Mich. native, who is filling the injury void left by senior Boaz Beard at 184, had 3:06 of RT and scored six takedowns in the win.
- All-Americans Kyven Gadson and Michael Moreno each went 2-0 in their first action of the season. Gadson looked sharp scoring three takedowns in a 7-6 win over No. 12 Brandon Palik of Drexel. Moreno dominated from start to finish en route to a 20-5 tech fall over Drexel’s Jason Fugiel.
- Senior transfer John Nicholson brought Hitlon Coliseum to its feet with a pin in his Cyclone debut at 157 pounds. The Des Moines, Iowa native, was dominating 9-0 before locking up a nearside cradle late in the third period to get the fall over Grand View’s Quenten Haynes.
Series Notes vs. West Virginia
- Iowa State welcomes West Virginia to Ames for the fifth-time in school history.
- The Cyclones lead the all-time series 12-1.
- The first meeting between ISU and WVU was in 1922, a dual won by the Cyclones 17-5.
- Last season, the Cyclones defeated the Mountaineers 30-3 in the regular season and 45-3 at the Big 12 Duals.
Series Notes vs. Midland
- Iowa State and Midland are meeting on the mat for the first-time ever.
- The Cyclones have only wrestled five previous duals all-time vs. current NAIA opponents.
- Iowa State took down defending NAIA national champion Grand View 22-18 on Nov. 7 in Ames.