No. 20 Iowa State Set to Host Northern Iowa
AMES, Iowa - The No. 20 Iowa State women's basketball team (6-0, 0-0 Big 12) takes on Northern Iowa on Wednesday at 7 p.m. at Hilton Coliseum. The Cyclones return to Hilton after a four-game road swing, where Iowa State improved to 6-0 for the first time since the 2001-02 season.
- Already off to its best start in 11 seasons, Iowa State looks to improve to 7-0 with a win over in-state foe the UNI Panthers. The last time the Cyclones were 6-0 was the 2001-02 season when they went undefeated in nonconference play and finished with a 24-9 record.
- The Iowa State women’s basketball team is listed as 13th in the nation in the Jeff Sagarin RPI indicator. Iowa State is third in the Big 12 on the model behind Baylor and Oklahoma State. However, ISU has a schedule rank of 174, compared to Baylor’s 336 and OSU’s 326.
- After winning two neutral site games in two days over the Thanksgiving holiday, Iowa State improved three spots in the Associated Press poll to No. 20. The ranking of 20th in the nation is a season-high for the Cyclones. The Cyclones came in at No.12 in the USA Today Coaches poll, which is the highest since the 2010 season. This is the 14th-straight time Iowa State has been ranked in the AP or USA Today polls.
- Iowa State is one of just 23 teams in the country with an undefeated record and one of just three teams in the Big 12 without a loss. The Big 12 is also one of two conferences in which every team is .500 or better and no team has more than three losses.
- Senior forward Hallie Christofferson is averaging 24.2 points and 8.0 rebounds through six games this season. Her 24.2 points per game ranks 11th nationally and second in the Big 12.
- The Iowa State starting lineup consists of a senior, two juniors and two freshmen, with Jadda Buckley and Seanna Johnson joining last year’s returners in Nikki Moody, Christofferson and Brynn Williamson. Iowa State is one of just four Big 12 schools this season that have started at least one freshman and one of three schools to have multiple freshman in the starting lineup. Iowa State is the only team in the top-25 to have started two freshmen in every game this season.
- This will be the 42nd meeting between the Cyclones and Panthers. Iowa State owns the all-time series 33-8 and also boasts a perfect 16-0 record at home.
- The Cyclones are averaging 82.5 points per game, which ranks 23rd nationally, and holding opponents to just 55.5 points, which ranks 20th nationally. Iowa State is shooting 45.7 percent from the field and also holding opponents to 35.5 percent. The Cyclone defense is also forcing an average of 14.8 turnovers per game.
- Iowa State continues its impressive showing at the free-throw line, ranking second nationally shooting 82.6 percent at the line. ISU led the nation last year in free-throw shooting making 86.3 percent.
Last Time Out
- Iowa State continued its winning ways an 11-point victory over the Auburn Tigers. The Cyclones had three players score in double-digits with Hallie Christofferson tallying a game-high 18 points, while Seanna Johnson tallied 17 points and Kidd Blaskowsky went 4-of-7 from long for 12 points.
- Auburn entered Saturday’s contest ranked 15th nationally in rebounding, but Iowa State outrebounded the Tigers 41-39.
Scouting Northern Iowa
- The Panthers hold a 2-5 record with wins over North Dakota and North Dakota State. UNI put up a tough battle against the Iowa Hawkeyes, falling by just seven points, 60-67.
- The Panthers’ top shooter this season is Jen Keitel, who is knocking down 46.4 percent from the field. Hannah Schonhardt is their top shooter from long, going 5-of-11 for 45.5 percent.
- The Panthers rank 42nd in the nation in turnovers per game, averaging 14.1. UNI also sits in the top-100 for blocks per game, with 4.1.