No. 16 Cyclones Set To Open Season Thursday
AMES, Iowa – Fans will get their first glimpse of the 2013-14 Iowa State wrestling team Thursday, as the Cyclones take on Drexel and Grand View in a double-dual at Hilton Coliseum. Iowa State will take on Drexel first at 5:30 p.m. CST, then battle Grand View shortly after. Drexel and Grand View get the action started on the day, as they square off at 3:30 p.m. CST.
Where: Ames, Iowa - Hilton Coliseum (8,524)
When: Thursday, Nov. 7, 5:30 p.m. CST & 7:30 p.m. CST
TV: Cyclones.tv powered by Mediacom | Channel Info Talent: Tom Kroeschell (PxP), Jim Gibbons (Color)
Live Stats: Live stats will be available at trackwrestling.com.
Live Blog: Michael DeBates, student assistant for athletics communications, will be holding a live blog during the double-dual .Fans are encouraged to participate in the blog by asking questions.
- Iowa State begins its 97th season of wrestling with the bar set high for fifth-year head coach Kevin Jackson. The Cyclones are 1023-291-21 in those 97 seasons, good for a impressive .766 all-time win percentage.
- Jackson’s 2012-13 Cyclones finished just outside the top-10 at the NCAA Championships, with an 11th-place finish at the NCAA Championships, notching 41.5 points and placing three Cyclones on the All-America podium.
- Jackson has a 37-30 overall record at Iowa State.
- The Cyclones hosted their annual intrasquad scrimmage at the Lied Recreation Center on Friday, Oct. 25.
- 2013 All-American Michael Moreno has an exhibition match under his belt already. Moreno was invited to the prestigious NWCA All-Star Classic, which took place Nov. 2 in Fairfax, Va. Moreno, currently ranked No. 4 by InterMat, was defeated by three-time NCAA finalist David Taylor, who’s ranked No. 1 at 165 pounds.
- Four of the five top teams in the USA Today/NWCA/AWN Coaches Poll are on the Cyclones dual schedule this season: No. 2 Minnesota (Feb. 23), No. 3 Iowa (Dec. 1), No. 4 Oklahoma State (Jan. 24) and No. 5 Oklahoma (Jan. 5).
- The Cyclones lost just two seniors (NCAA-qualifier Max Mayfield and All-American Matt Gibson) from a team that went 11-5 in dual competition last season and 3-3 in the Big 12.
Iowa State Quick Facts
- Iowa State finished second at the Big 12 Championships last season, scoring 74 team points, marking the most team points scored by the Cyclones at the conference tournament in the Kevin Jackson era.
- Iowa State’s seven NCAA-qualifiers in 2012-13 were the most since Jackson’s initial season in 2009-2010. Five of those qualifiers are back, including two who earned All-America honors in 197-pounder Kyven Gadson and 165-pounder Michael Moreno.
- The Cyclones have won 10 of their last 12 duals dating back to a 19-15 win at Rutgers on Jan. 11 last season.
- Eight Cyclones could potentially be making their Iowa State debuts: Kyle Larson (125 pounds), Drake Swarm (125 pounds), Dakota Bauer (133 pounds), Gabe Moreno (141 pounds), John Nicholson (157 pounds), Lelund Weatherspoon (184 pounds), Quean Smith (285 pounds) and Ben Perna (285 pounds).
- Head coach Kevin Jackson is 2-2 all-time in season opening duals.
- Drexel’s head coach, Matt Acevedo, is a former Cyclone. Acevedo initially wrestled at Arizona State and then transferred to Iowa State to finish his career under legendary head coach Bobby Douglas.
- Grand View’s lineup features a former Cyclone in heavyweight Eric Thompson. Thompson is the top-ranked heavyweight in NAIA and has won back-to-back NAIA titles. He finished eighth at the Midlands Championships last season.
Series Notes vs. Drexel
- Iowa State welcomes Drexel to Hilton Coliseum for the first time in school history.
- The Cyclones lead the all-time series 2-0-0.
- Last season, Iowa State defeated the Dragons 31-12 on Jan. 13 in Philadelphia, Pa. ISU scored bonus points in six of the 10 matches.
Series Notes vs. Grand View
- Iowa State and two-time defending NAIA national champions Grand View are meeting for the first time on the mat.
- The Cyclones have only wrestled four previous duals all-time vs. NAIA opponents.