ISU Fifth at ASU Thunderbird Invite
TEMPE, Ariz. The Iowa State men’s golf team finished fifth at the ASU Thunderbird Invitational. The Cyclones posted an 851 54-hole tally (279-274-298), which is their lowest score on the year and the fifth best tally in school history.
Arizona State took home the team title after firing a tournament total of 817 (271-272-274).
Junior All-American Scott Fernandez now holds the school record for most top-10 finishes in a career (19) by placing seventh weekend. Fernandez fired rounds of 65-70-73 for a 208 total. It’s his fifth top-10 of the season.
Freshman Nick Voke led the way for the Cyclones in the final round. He posted a 72 to bring his tournament total to 211 (69-70-72) and finish in a tie for 13th. The 211 mark for Voke is his lowest on the season.
Ruben Sondjaja also finished in the top-20 this weekend. Yesterday, he fired a seven under 64 to match the lowest score in Iowa State history. He finished tied for 17th with a 212 54-hole score (73-64-75), which is also his best score on the year.
Iowa State will be back on the course in two weeks at the Jim West Intercollegiate, which will take place in McKinney, Texas.
1. Arizona State-271-272-274=817
5. Iowa State-279-274-298=851
6. San Diego-283-286-291=860
7. Wichita State-284-282-295=861
8. New Mexico State-287-288-291=866
12. Colorado State-287-292-300=879
14. St. John’s-292-296-294=882
15. Fresno State-301-289-301=891
Iowa State Scores
7. Scott Fernandez-65-70-73=208
T13. Nick Voke-69-70-72=211
T17. Ruben Sondjaja-73-64-75=212
T43. Sam Daley-72-70-78=220
T65. Collin Foster-73-74-79=226
1. Jon Rahm, Arizona State-62-64-66=192
2. Alex McMahon, Arizona-70-62-68=200
3. Brian Bullington, Iowa-68-70-68=206