No. 2 ISU Primed and Ready for National Duals
AMES, Iowa - Second-ranked Iowa State has the No. 2 seed heading into the NWCA/Cliff Keen National Duals at the UNI Dome in Cedar Falls, Iowa, Jan. 9-10. ISU will look to improve on its third-place showing from a year ago. The Cyclones are 3-1 in duals this season. ISU faces Bloomsburg in the first round Saturday at 11 a.m.
• Iowa State heads to Cedar Falls, Iowa, to take part in the 2010 NWCA/Cliff Keen National Duals, presented by Hibiclens. The second-ranked Cyclones took third place at last year’s edition of the event. ISU faces Bloomsburg in the first round.
• ISU held off sixth-ranked Minnesota Jan. 3, 19-16, with a decisive pin being recorded by top-ranked Jake Varner at 197 pounds. The Cyclones split the dual matches with the Gophers at 5-5.
• Iowa State notched a team runner-up fi nish at the 47th Annual Midlands Championships in Evanston, Ill., Dec. 29-30. ISU’s Jake Varner took the 197-pound crown.
• The Cyclones are 3-1 in the 2009-10 season with earlier dual victories coming Nov. 12 in Hilton Coliseum over South Dakota State (43-3) and Dec. 19 at UNI, 42-0.
• ISU is currently ranked 2/2 in the Intermat and W.I.N. Magazine polls, respectively.
• Iowa State is 992-262-20 all-time in duals, dating back to 1916.
• The Cyclones are coming off a third-place showing at last year’s NCAA Championships.
• Iowa State returns four grapplers who earned All-America honors in at the 2009 NCAA Championships: Nick Gallick (141), Jon Reader (165), Jake Varner (197) and David Zabriskie (HWT). ISU 133-pounder Nick Fanthorpe was an All-American in 2008.
Iowa State at the NWCA/Cliff Keen National Duals
• Iowa State placed third at the 2009 NWCA/Cliff Keen National Duals, presented by Hibiclens, posting a 3-1 record in the event.
• En route to the third-place showing, ISU notched dual victories over Indiana (35-0), Boise State (19-15) and Nebraska (20-19). The No. 2 Cyclones were dropped in semifinal action by then third-ranked Cornell, 22-15.
• ISU has participated in five-straight National Dual events.
• In the events history, Iowa State has taken one team championship (2000), and has been team runner-up once, in 1992.
Iowa State vs. Bloomsburg Series Notes
• The Cyclones are a pristine 7-0 versus Bloomsburg all-time, with the last meeting between the teams taking place Nov. 25, 1988. ISU handled the Huskies by a score of 22-12.
• Iowa State and Huskies have met before in a dual tournament setting. ISU turned away Bloomsburg with a 31-9 victory at the Virginia Duals, Jan. 11, 1986. Iowa State won the event with three dual victories.
Scouting the NWCA/Cliff Keen National Duals
• No. 2 Iowa State will face off with Bloomsburg in the first round of the NWCA/Cliff Keen National Duals. The Huskies are 8-2 in duals this season.
• BU is coached by John Stutzman, who is in his fi fth season at the helm of the Bloomsburg wrestling program. Last season, the Huskies went 9-7 and 3-3 in the Eastern Wrestling League.
• The Cyclones face a possible second-round matchup with seventh-seed, Maryland. UM is out to a 7-1 dual start, which is the school’s best since a 9-1 start in the 1994-95 season.
• The Terps are coached by Kerry McCoy, who was a two-time Olympian. McCoy is 17-9-1 in his second season at Maryland.
• ISU hasn’t faced the Terrapins since Jan. 11, 1969. Iowa State won the matchup, 23-12, to be 3-0 all-time against Maryland.
• There are familiar faces around the dual tournament bracket. Participants on the 2009-10 Cyclone wrestling schedule include: No. 1 Iowa, No. 5 Minnesota, No. 6 Cornell, Arizona State, Missouri, Nebraska and host, Northern Iowa.
• Other participating teams include: Buffalo, No. 4 Central Michigan, Northwestern, No. 3 Ohio State and Wisconsin.