Frank Santana established himself as one of Iowa State’s best upper-weight wrestlers in school history, earning All-America honors and competing in the 190-pound national championship match three times. A native of Skokie, Ill., Santana compiled an 84-9 record and won two Big Eight titles (1976 & 1977) and one NCAA championship (1977). Santana was the lone NCAA titlist on ISU’s 1977 NCAA championship team.
- Three-time All-American at 190 pounds (1976, 1977, 1978)
- NCAA champion at 190 pounds in 1977, defeating Minnesota’s Evan Johnson, 12-7 in the title match
- Was the runner-up national champion in 1976 and 1978, suffering knee injuries in both tournaments which hampered his performance
- Two-time Big Eight champion at 190 pounds (1976 & 1977)
- Wrestled in the 1978 East-West All-Star meet
- Compiled an overall 84-9 record
- ISU finished second, first and second as a team in his last three seasons