AMES, Iowa - The Iowa State women's basketball team faces intrastate rival Drake Tuesday night at Hilton Coliseum. Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m.
Who: No. 24 Iowa State (4-0) vs. Drake (1-3)
Where: Ames, Iowa - Hilton Coliseum (14,376)
When: Tuesday, Nov. 27, 7 p.m.
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
Talent: Rich Fellingham (PxP), Molly Parrott (Color)
Live Stats: Live stats will be available at cyclones.com.
Live Blog: Matt Shoultz, assistant director of athletics communications, will be holding a live blog during the game at cyclones.com. Fans are encouraged to participate in the blog by asking questions.
Autographs: Iowa State junior Elly Arganbright will sign autographs after the game on the east concourse.
- Iowa State is 4-0 after a pair of wins against Loyola Marymount and Illinois at the Junkanoo Jam last weekend. The Cyclones have defeated their opponents by an average of 24.5 points, the third-best margin in the Big 12. ISU’s opponents are scoring a Big 12 low 45.5 points per game.
- Iowa State returned to the national rankings this week at No. 24 in The Associated Press Top 25 poll. The Cyclones are ranked for the first time since March 3, 2011. ISU has been ranked 135 weeks, all under Bill Fennelly.
- Defense has been the key for the Cyclones this season. In addition to allowing the fewest points among Big 12 teams, ISU also ranks first in field goal percentage defense with opponents shooting just 28.7 percent. The Cyclones are also third in blocked shots (4.3 per game). Iowa State’s last three opponents have scored an average of 30 points below their season average entering the game.
- Iowa State’s last 5-0 start came in 2010-11. The Cyclones have started the season with five wins four times under Fennelly and five times in school history.
- Hallie Christofferson was named tournament most valuable player at the Junkanoo Jam after averaging 14.5 points and 5.5 rebounds in the two wins. Brynn Williamson earned all-tournament team honors after posting 10.5 points and 8.5 rebounds.
- The Cyclones win over Illinois came without the services of All-America candidate Chelsea Poppens. Poppens suffered a concussion in the first half of the Loyola Marymount game. Her status is day-to-day.
- Williamson is the only Big 12 player to rank among the league’s top-five in steals (T-5th, 2.5 spg) and blocked shots (T-5th, 1.8 bpg). She is also second in the league in defensive rebounds (5.8), 3-pointers made (2.8) and 3-point field goal percentage (47.8).
- Nikki Moody has dished out five or more assists in all three games after missing the season opener due to illness. The sophomore ranks second in the Big 12 averaging 6.3 assists per game.
- Poppens moved past Tracy Gahan into fifth on the school’s all-time rebounds list in the Cyclones’ game against UND. She currently has 830 career boards and needs 43 to pass Jayme Olson for fourth.
- EspnW has listed Poppens among the top-five power forwards in the nation.
- The Cyclones have won 67-straight regular season nonconference games at Hilton Coliseum. The streak dates back to the 2003-04 season (Last loss: Washington (12/21/03)).
- Iowa State is 25-26 all-time against Drake, including 12-5 with Bill Fennelly as head coach. The Cyclones have won seven of the last eight meeting in the series.
- In last season’s meeting, a seven-point Iowa State win, Nikki Moody scored 16 points to lead four players in double digits. Christofferson had 11 points and 11 rebounds.
- The Cyclones are 84-48 against foes from the Missouri Valley Conference.
- Bill Fennelly is 39-7 against Missouri Valley teams, including 37-7 since arriving at Iowa State.
- Iowa State sophomore Brynn Williamson and Drake junior Morgan Reid are cousins. Both hail from Kansas City with Williamson graduating from Staley High School and Reid from Kansas City North High School.
- Former Iowa State standout Kelsey Bolte is the director of basketball operations for the Bulldogs. Bolte (2007-11) scored 1,639 points and grabbed 665 rebounds as a guard for the Cyclones.
For complete information on the game, click the Notes link in the box at the top of the story.