Iowa State Opens Big 12 Season at No. 6 Kansas
AMES, Iowa - Iowa State (10-3, 0-0) opens Big 12 season with a matchup at No. 6 Kansas (12-1, 0-0) in Lawrence, Kan. In the last meeting between the two schools, ISU snapped its 13-game losing streak to the Jayhawks with a 72-64 win over No. 5 Kansas in Ames (Jan. 28, 2012).
Where: Lawrence, Kan. - Allen Fieldhouse (16,300)
When: Wednesday, Jan. 9, 6 p.m. CST
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
Talent: John Walters (PxP), Eric Heft (Color)
Talent: Mark Neely (PxP), Matt Doherty (Color)
Live Stats: Live stats will be available at kuathletics.com.
Live Blog: Mike Green, associate director of athletics communications, will be holding a live blog during the game at cyclones.com. Fans are encouraged to participate in the blog by asking questions.
- Iowa State (10-3, 0-0) opens Big 12 season with a matchup at No. 6 Kansas (12-1, 0-0) in Lawrence, Kan. In the last meeting between the two schools, ISU snapped its 13-game losing streak to the Jayhawks with a 72-64 win over No. 5 Kansas in Ames (Jan. 28, 2012).
- ISU's 72-64 victory over KU last season was Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg's first win over a ranked opponent in his coaching career. Hoiberg, who is 2-14 all-time vs. ranked opponents, is looking for his 50th career victory on Wednesday.
- Iowa State is 39-65 all-time in conference openers and 7-9 in Big 12 openers.
- Iowa State is one of the nation's highest scoring teams, leading the Big 12 and ranking seventh nationally in points per game at 82.0. ISU has scored 80 points or more nine times this year.
- Iowa State is the ONLY team in the nation to score at least 70 points in every game this year.
- Iowa State has outrebounded 12 of 13 opponents this season at a +10.8 margin, ranking first in the Big 12 and sixth nationally in rebounding margin. Melvin Ejim leads the Big 12 in rebounding (9.2), grabbing 10 or more boards in eight games this season.
- Iowa State leads the Big 12 and ranks eighth nationally in 3-pointers per game (9.1), connecting on 10 or more treys six times this season. ISU led the Big 12 and ranked in the top-13 nationally in the first two seasons of the Fred Hoiberg era.
- Iowa State's bench is averaging 33.1 ppg and produces 40.3 percent of the team's scoring. ISU's bench has outscored its opponents bench in 12 of the 13 games this season. Tyrus McGee (13.4) and Georges Niang (10.8) are both averaging double figures in scoring as bench players.
- Tyrus McGee leads the Big 12 in both 3-pointers per game (2.9) and 3-point percentage (48.1 pct.), ranking ninth nationally in 3-point percentage.
- ISU is 9-0 when scoring 80 points, outshooting its opponent and reaching 40 points first.