No. 25 ISU Looks for 3-0 Big 12 Start at Oklahoma
Cyclones.TV subscribers can watch the match live on the Cyclones.TV media player. Live stats for the match will also be provided, and cyclones.com will host a live blog.
- No. 25 Iowa State will be looking to take its record in Big 12 play to 3-0 Saturday afternoon in a road match at Oklahoma in McCasland Field House.
- The Cyclones started off Big 12 play 2-0 for the third time under head coach Christy Johnson-Lynch with 3-0 sweeps of Baylor and Texas Tech.
- The Cyclones were led by 17 kills at a .333 hitting percentage and a career-best 14 digs from Mackenzie Bigbee. Bigbee’s career high in digs prior to that match was six against Baylor the previous week.
- Iowa State will be looking for its second 3-0 Big 12 start under Johnson-Lynch. The most recent one came in 2011.
- Two of Iowa State’s four losses this season have come to ranked opponents via current No. 10 Nebraska and No. 13 San Diego. Illinois and St. Mary’s, who beat San Diego last week, are among other teams receiving votes in the AVCA Coaches Poll.
- The Cyclones also started the 2012 season 5-4 after nine matches. Iowa State went on to a 22-8 and made its fifth trip to the NCAA Regional Semifinals in the last six seasons.
- As a team, Iowa State leads the Big 12 with 1.67 service aces per set. Tory Knuth is the Big 12’s top server with 0.50 aces per set, and Kristen Hahn leads the league with 5.45 digs per set.
- Senior libero Kristen Hahn has proven herself as one of the best players in the nation, and she has the stats to back it up with a team-high 229 digs at 5.45 digs per set, first in the Big 12 and ninth nationally.
- Hahn won her 14th career Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week award for her efforts agaisnt Baylor.
- Hahn has 52 straight matches with at lest 10 digs. Against San Diego, Hahn broke Ashley Mass’ previous school record for consecutive 10+ dig matches, which was 44 across the 2007-08 seasons.
- Three Cyclones were named to the Big 12 Preseason Team in Mackenzie Bigbee, Hahn and Victoria Hurtt. Hahn and Hurtt were unanimous selections.
- The Oklahoma Sooners come into Saturday’s match with a 13-3 overall record and a 1-1 Big 12 record.
- OU started Big 12 play with a four-set win over Texas Tech before being swept at Texas last Saturday. The Sooners had Wednesday off.
- Oklahoma features one of the Big 12’s premier attackers in middle blocker Sallie McLaurin. McLaurin leads the Big 12 in hitting percentage (.453) and blocks (1.38 per set) and ranks third in kills (3.74 per set).
- OU has some of the top defenders in the conference in Taylor Migliazzo and Keila Rodriguez. Migliazzo is fifth in the Big 12 at 3.84 digs per match, including a 40-dig match in a five set win at Tulsa. Rodriguez ranks seventh at 3.43 digs per set.
- The Sooners lead the all-time series 42-29, but it has been Iowa State on top in the two programs’ last four meetings. ISU swept Oklahoma in each meeting last year.