Goldstein Hat Trick Leads To Cyclones Win
NORMAN, Okla.- Senior Emily Goldstein pulled off a hat trick to lead the Iowa State soccer team to a 4-1 victory over the Oklahoma Sooners on Sunday at the OU Soccer Complex.
Turning point of the game
With the Cyclones (7-7-2) leading 2-1 in the second half, Goldstein fired a shot into the back of the Sooners (3-10-1) net off an assist from Koree Willer to put the game out of reach. Goldstein would continue her hot-streak, scoring a total of three total goals as the Cyclones cruised to a 4-1 victory earning their first Big 12 win of the season.
Discuss it now. Visit our Facebook page to have your say on the turning point of today's game.
Cyclone game ball goes to…
Emily Goldstein. When the Cyclones needed someone to step up, the senior did just that. Goldstein delivered three huge goals for Iowa State in the second half to put the game out of reach. Goldstein scored her first goal in the 56th minute to put the Cyclones up 2-0, but she wasn’t close to being done. The senior fired two more goals into the back of the Sooner net to finish the game with a career-high three goals. Coming into the game Goldstein had scored just two goals this season. She becomes the first Cyclone to complete the hat trick since Kaeli Flaska accomplished the feat on Sept. 11, 2011 against Loyola-Chicago.
* Emily Goldstein becomes the first Cyclone to complete a hat trick since Kaeli Flaska accomplished the feat against Loyola-Chicago on Sept. 11, 2011.
* Emily Goldstein is now tied for the Cyclone lead for goals scored this season with five.
* Goldstein is just the 13th Cyclone to ever record three or more goals in a game.
*Koree Willer scored her fourth goal of the season, good for second best on the team.
* Senior goalkeeper Maddie Jobe finished with five saves bringing her career total to 302. She is just the second Cyclone to ever reach 300 career saves.
* The Cyclones still have yet to be defeated this season when they score at least two goals in the game.
Fan tweet of the game
After each game, one tweet will be chosen as the "Fan Tweet of the Game". Fans are encouraged to tweet @cycloneSCR during the game and should check cyclones.com to see if their tweet was chose as "Fan Tweet of the Game".
Iowa State returns home Friday to take on the Baylor Bears at 7 p.m. at the Cyclone Sports Complex. Results will be available on Cyclones.com after the conclusion of the game. Fans can follow Iowa State soccer’s twitter account @cycloneSCR for live updates on the game.