Cyclones Host Top-Ranked Gophers On Senior Day
AMES, Iowa – The Iowa State wrestling team (9-6 overall, 1-2 Big 12) welcomes No. 1 Minnesota (13-1 overall, 6-1 Big 10) Sunday to Hilton Coliseum. It’s senior day for the Cyclones. Boaz Beard, John Nicholson and Ben Perna will all be honored prior to the match with the top-ranked Gophers.
Where: Ames, Iowa – Hilton Coliseum
When: Sunday, Feb. 23, 2 p.m. CDT
Talent: Tom Kroeschell (pxp); Jim Gibbons (color)
Twitter: Follow @CycloneWR for live updates following each match.
Live Stats: Live stats will be available at trackwrestling.com.
Live Blog: Michael DeBates, student assistant for athletics communications, will be holding a live blog during the dual. Fans are encouraged to participate in the blog by asking questions.
- No. 1 Kyven Gadson has a 29-match dual win streak dating back to Nov. 25, 2012.
- The last Cyclone to be ranked No. 1 was Jon Reader in 2011.
- Gadson is the consensus top-ranked 197-pounder in all the national rankings for the first time this week. He leads the team in pins with seven.
- Gadson picked up career win No. 50 at the National Duals after a 3-0 weekend. The Waterloo, Iowa, native is 52-8 in a Cyclone singlet.
- No. 9 Michael Moreno leads the Cyclones in wins (24), dual takedowns (36) and bonus point wins (12).
- Moreno is seeking career win No. 60 Sunday as he brings a 59-29 career record into the dual.
- Sophomore Earl Hall has a three-match win streak featuring two wins over ranked opponents. The Homestead, Fla., native has four wins over ranked opponents on the season.
- The Cyclones four consecutive pins vs. Hofstra at the National Duals were the first time ISU has had four straight pins in a dual vs. a Division I foe since Dec. 12, 1970, a 51-0 win over Nebraska.
- The Gophers head into Sunday’s dual fresh off rolling through the field of competition en route to their third consecutive NWCA National Duals title.
- Minnesota has eight ranked wrestlers in their lineup, all ranked in the top-10 at their resepective weights: No. 7 David Thord (133), No. 5 Chris Dardanes (141), No. 2 Nick Dardanes (149), No. 5 Dylan Ness (157), No. 6 Logan Storley (174), No. 8 Kevin Steinhaus (184), No. 5 Scott Schiller (197) and No. 5 Tony Nelson (285).
- Minnesota won a share of the Big Ten dual meet title with its 18-17 win over then No. 1 Penn State on Feb. 9.
- Gadson and Schiller headline the bout sheet in a rematch of the Southern Scuffle 197-pound title match. Schiller has dropped two straight in duals, but leads the all-time series with Gadson, 3-0.
- Iowa State leads the all-time series with Minnesota 44-16-2.
- The Gophers have won two-straight in the series.
- The last time ISU and Minnesota met was Jan. 26, 2011 in Ames, a dual won by the Gophers 26-13.
- Head coach Kevin Jackson is 1-2 all-time vs. Minnesota.
- The Cyclones (8) and Gophers (3) have combined to win 11 NCAA titles.