Cyclones Face Baylor In Final Road Test
AMES, Iowa - No. 15 Iowa State (22-6, 10-6) hits the road for the second-straight game when it faces Baylor Tuesday at the Ferrell Center. The game will be televised on ESPN2.
Where: Waco, Texas - Ferrell Center (10,284)
When: March 4, 6 p.m. CST
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
Talent: John Walters (PxP), Eric Heft (Color)
Talent: Dave Flemming (PxP), Miles Simon (Color)
Live Stats: Live stats will be available at Cyclones.com.
Live Blog: Matt Shoultz, assistant director in the athletics communications department, will be holding a live blog during the game at Cyclones.com. Fans are encouraged to participate in the blog by asking questions.
- ISU (22-6, 10-6) plays its final regular season road game Tuesday when it faces Baylor (19-10, 7-9). The Cyclones have won 10 conference games for the third-straight season, a first in program history.
- Head coach Fred Hoiberg won his 84th game as head coach of the Cyclones vs. WVU, which ties him with Larry Eustachy (84) in their first four years leading the program.
- Iowa State is one of just three schools nationally with three players averaging at least 16 ppg (VMI, Delaware). The Cyclones have had five different players tally 20+ points in a game this season. ISU is the only school in the nation to score 70+ points in every game.
- Melvin Ejim (19.5), DeAndre Kane (17.8) and Georges Niang (16.9) are attempting to make ISU the first Big 12 team to have three players average 17+ ppg in conference play.
- Ejim, whose birthday is Tuesday, is the Big 12’s top scorer at 18.9 points per game, up 7.6 ppg from last season. The last Cyclone to lead the conference in scoring was Marcus Fizer (1999, 2000). Ejim is the only player in a power conference averaging at least 18 pts, eight rebounds while also shooting at least 50 percent from the field and 35 percent behind the arc.
- Ejim has been named a Capital One First-Team Academic All-American, joining Fred Hoiberg as the only first-team members in school history. No first-team pick has led the Big 12 in scoring.
- Freshman Monté Morris has started the last nine games and is currently on pace to break the NCAA record with a 6.1 assist-turnover ratio. In conference play, his a/to ratio is 8.6. Morris had 12 assists and no turnovers in ISU’s win against West Virginia. The 12 assists were an ISU freshman record.
- Kane has scored 20+ points in two of the last three games and is averaging 20.0 ppg, 8.0 rpg and 5.0 assists in the last five games.
Niang has scored 17 or more points in 10 of the 12 games since Jan. 18.
- Iowa State is leading the Big 12 in scoring (83.2). The Cyclones share and protect the ball as well as anyone in the country, dishing out 18.6 assists (1st in nation) and posting a 1.81 assist/turnover ratio (1st in nation).
- ISU’s seven wins against top-25 teams ties the school record set in 1999-2000. The Cyclones are 7-2 against the top-25 this season and have eight wins vs. the RPI top-50.
Series Notes vs. Baylor
- Iowa State holds a 16-9 edge in the all-time series with Baylor as the teams meet for the 26th time.
- ISU is 2-8 against Baylor in Waco after earning an 87-82 win last season at the Ferrell Center. ISU’s only other win in Waco was on March 4, 2000 (75-54) when it wrapped up the Big 12 title. It was the first league title for Iowa State since 1945.
- The Cyclones beat Baylor, 87-72, in the first meeting this season when both teams were ranked in the top-10 (ISU #9, Baylor #7). DeAndre Kane scored 30 points to go along with nine assists, eight rebounds and five steals. Melvin Ejim added 18 points in the win.
- Baylor is one of three Big 12 schools that Iowa State has a series edge with: Texas Tech (14-11) and West Virginia (3-1).
- Melvin Ejim is averaging 13.1 points and 6.7 rebounds in six career meetings with Baylor. He is also shooting 59.6 percent against the Bears. Georges Niang has scored 13.7 points in three games vs. the Bears.
- Ejim played in the World University Games for Canada with Baylor guard Brady Heslip. The Canadians finished fourth and had a win against the United States.
- Fred Hoiberg is 5-1 against Baylor as a coach.
Ejim In Elite Company
- Against Oklahoma, Melvin Ejim became just the 11th player in Big 12 history and the fifth in Iowa State history to grab 900 career rebounds.
- Ejim needs just 10 boards to become the fourth player in Big 12 history to score 1,500 points and grab 1,000 rebounds. He would join Damion James (Texas), Nick Collison (Kansas) and Aleks Maric (Nebraska).
Follow the Cyclones on Facebook and Twitter (@CycloneMBB).