No. 11 Cyclones Head for In-State Showdown at UNI
More from Cyclones.tv
Cyclones.TV subscribers will be able to watch the stream, courtesy of unipanthers.com. Because the UNI stream is in SD, it will not be availible on the iPad app. The match will not be shown on Cyclones.TV cable channel.
However, the match will be shown on the following channels: KCRG 9.2 (Cedar Rapids), Cedar Falls Utilities 15, KCAU 9.2 (Sioux City), WOI 5.2 (Ames/Des Moines). Live stats will be provided by unipanthers.com, while cyclones.com will be hosting a live blog.
- No. 15 Iowa State is back on the road with an in-state road showdown against UNI at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the McLeod Center in Cedar Falls.
- The Cyclones began the 2013 season with three wins at the UND Classic in Grand Forks, N.D. ISU earned 3-0 wins over South Dakota State and North Dakota before winning a dramatic 3-1 match against Texas A&M.
- Tenisha Matlock was named the MVP of the UND Classic with Mackenzie Bigbee and Kristen Hahn joining her on the All-Tournament team.
- The Cyclones make a multitude of appearances in the Big 12 rankings. Iowa State leads the team rankings in hitting percentage (.308), assists (15.20 per set), kills (16.00 per set) and kills allowed (11.30 per set). Individually, Matlock leads the conference in hitting percentage (.500), Jenelle Hudson leads in assists (13.40 per set) and aces (0.60) and Hahn leads in digs (5.90 per set).
- The win over Texas A&M was the 175th of Christy Johnson-Lynch’s career. She has now led ISU to wins in the first three matches of the season five times in her tenure.
- Kristen Hahn won her 13th career Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week award for her efforts in the UND Classic.
- Three Cyclones were named to the Big 12 Preseason Team in Mackenzie Bigbee, Hahn and Victoria Hurtt. Hahn and Hurtt were unanimous selections.
- Both Hahn and Hurtt are also returning All-Americans. Hahn, the two-time defending Big 12 Libero of the Year, was named to the AVCA second-team, and Hurtt earned honorable metion.
- Iowa State was picked by the Big 12 coaches to finish second in the conference in the preseason poll, only behind defending NCAA Champion Texas.
- Many of ISU’s stars got the chance to compete as part of USA Volleyball set ups. Bigbee, Hahn and Hurtt all were part of the A2 Program and Caitlin Nolan participated with the Junior National Team (see page four for more info).
- Iowa State returns 11 letterwinners from the 2012 squad and features three newcomers in true freshmen Ciara Capezio, Maria Fruechte and Samara West.
Streaks and Trends
- ISU has won its first four matches of the season four times in Johnson Lynch’s tenure. The last time the Cyclones opened the season with three stragiht wins was 2011, when Iowa State took the victories in its first nine matches.
- Iowa State is one of seven schools to make five of the last six regional semifinals (Florida, Michigan, Nebraska, Penn St, Stanford, Texas).
- Iowa State opponents have hit over .300 just 20 times in 256 matches under Johnson-Lynch.
- Under Johnson-Lynch, Iowa State is 101-33 in three set matches, including 2-0 in 2013.
- Behind Johnson-Lynch’s leadership, the Cyclones win 88% (141-19) of their matches when earning the first set victory.
- Iowa State has collected 20 wins in five-consecutive seasons under Johnson-Lynch. The Cyclones have had 12 20+ win seasons since 1982.
- Under Johnson-Lynch, the Cyclones have won at least one match over a top 25 opponent in each of her eight seasons and have defeated at least two top 25 teams in each of the last six seasons.
- Kristen Hahn is on a 43-match streak of 10 or more digs, only one away from tying the school record of 44 by Ashley Mass from 2007-08. Hahn also has 20 or more digs in six ov her last seven matches.
- The UNI Panthers are 1-2 on the season after defeating Fairfield, but falling to Utah and Utah State to start the season at the Utah Classic in Salt Lake City.
- The Panthers offense has been led by Courtney Kintzel, with the sophomore from Mount Vernon collecting 42 kills at 3.42 per set in Utah.
- Freshman Amie Held leads the UNI defense, with the libero averaging 4.27 digs per set.
- The Panthers traditionally get some of the largest crowds in the country at the McLeod Center, averaging 3,001 people per match last season to rank sixth in the country.
- UNI finished 2012 with a 25-10 record, 15-3 in the Missouri Valley. The Panthers defeated Kansas State in the first round of the NCAA Championship before falling to Nebraska in the second round.
- Iowa State and Northern Iowa will meet for the 51st time, a series dating back to 1977. UNI holds an all-time series lead of 26-24. ISU is 6-2 against UNI under Johnson-Lynch. In 2012, the Cyclones won 3-1 (25-18, 23-25, 25-14, 27-25) with Rachel Hockaday posting a double-double of 14 kills and 11 digs to lead Iowa State.