Gordon Hassman was a key contributor in helping the Iowa State wrestling program gain national prominence. A native of New Hampton, Iowa, Hassman was a three-time All-American, two-time Big Eight champion and a national champion during his Cyclone career from 1963-65. Hassman went undefeated (33-0) in 1964 as a junior, capturing outstanding wrestler honors at the Big Eight meet and winning the 157-pound NCAA title. As a senior (1965), Hassman won his second Big Eight title and placed third at the NCAA meet, helping Iowa State head coach Harold Nichols win the first of his six NCAA team championships for the Cyclones.
- Three-time All-American at 167 and 157 pounds (1963, 1964, 1965).
- Two-time Big Eight champion (1964, 1965).
- 1964 NCAA champion at 157 pounds, defeating Syracuse’s Dick Slutzky.
- Named Outstanding Wrestler at the 1964 Big Eight meet.
- owa State’s Athlete of the Year in 1964.
- Key member of Iowa State’s 1965 NCAA title team.