A. E. "Deac" Wolters was a world class runner for the Iowa State Cyclone track & field team from 1921-23, earning All-America honors and winning numerous conference titles. Wolters, who was also Iowa State's starting quarterback and football team captain, won three conference titles in track and ran the fastest quarter mile in the country during his time in Ames.
- All-American in the 440 at the 1922 NCAA Outdoor Championships.
- Won the 440 and 880 at the 1922 Big Ten Championships.
- Captured the 1923 MVC title in the 440.
- Held the nation's fastest time in the 440.
- Held Iowa State's record in the 440-yard dash for over 40 years.
- Member of the two-mile relay team which set a world record time of 7:52.25.
- Voted as one of the most outstanding performers at the Drake Relays.
- Served as president of the National Cyclone Club in 1957-58.