No. 25 Iowa State Travels East to Face Iowa
The match will be streamed through a subscription-based service on hawkeyesports.com. Iowa will provide live stats, and cyclones.com will be hosting a live blog during the match.
- No. 25 Iowa State plays its final match before the start of Big 12 play when they make the drive to Iowa City to take on the Iowa Hawkeyes as part of the Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series. The match will begin at 7 p.m.
- The Cyclones are coming off a 1-2 weekend at the Ameritas Player’s Challenge, with ISU sweeping Dayton before falling to St. Mary’s in four sets and No. 12 Nebraska in three sets.
- Three of Iowa State’s four losses this season have come to ranked opponents via current No. 2 San Diego, No. 12 Nebraska and No. 16 Illinois. St. Mary’s in among other teams receiving votes in the AVCA Coaches Poll.
- The Cyclones also started the 2012 season 5-4 after nine matches. Iowa State went on to a 22-8 and made its fifth trip to the NCAA Regional Semifinals in the last six seasons.
- Senior libero Kristen Hahn has proven herself as one of the best players in the nation, and she has the stats to back it up with a team-high 175 digs at 5.47 digs per set, first in the Big 12 and 13th nationally.
- Hahn will be looking to record her 50th straight match with at lest 10 digs Saturday. Against San Diego, Hahn broke Ashley Mass’ previous school record for consecutive 10+ dig matches, which was 44 across the 2007-08 seasons.
- Hahn won her 13th career Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week award for her efforts in the UND Classic.
- Iowa State leads the Big 12 in assists (13.09), kills (13.78) and service aces (1.56). ISU’s highest NCAA rank as a team comes in assists, where it sits 30th.
- Three Cyclones were named to the Big 12 Preseason Team in Mackenzie Bigbee, Hahn and Victoria Hurtt. Hahn and Hurtt were unanimous selections.
- Both Hahn and Hurtt are also returning All-Americans. Hahn, the two-time defending Big 12 Libero of the Year, was named to the AVCA second-team, and Hurtt earned honorable metion.
- Many of ISU’s stars got the chance to compete as part of USA Volleyball set ups. Bigbee, Hahn and Hurtt all were part of the A2 Program and Caitlin Nolan participated with the Junior National Team (see notes for more info).
- Iowa State and Iowa are meeting as part of the annual Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series. The Hawkeyes currently have a 5-0 lead after winning women’s soccer and football earlier this month.
- The Hawkeyes volleyball team is currently 9-2 after a five-set victory at Milwaukee Tuesday night.
- In that match, UI had three players in double-figures for kills, led by Alex Lovell’s 17. Libero Bethany Yeager had 22 digs for the Hawkeyes.
- Lovell is the top attacker for the Hawkeyes, averaging 3.74 kills per set and recording 2.65 digs per set.
- Iowa’s other go-to attackers are Alessandra Dietz (2.48 kps) and Rachael Bedell (2.51 kps).
- The Hawkeyes run a two-setter system with Alyssa Klostermann (5.83 assists per set) and Nikki Dailey (5.76 aps) sharing duties.
- Iowa State leads the all-time series 24-21, including earning victories in the two schools’ last eight meetings.
- Iowa’s last win in the series came in three sets in 1997 in Ames. Iowa’s last win over Iowa State in Iowa City was in 1993 via a five-setter.
- The Cyclones defeated the Hawkeyes in five sets last season in Ames.