Cyclones Finish Sixth at Desert Intercollegiate
PALM DESERT, Calif.- The Iowa State men’s golf team finished sixth in the 23-team Desert Intercollegiate this weekend. The Cyclones posted rounds of 291-281-287 for an 859 total.
Oregon took home the team title at 837 (276-279-282=837). The medalist portion of the event was won by TCU’s Julien Brun, who turned in rounds of 72-66-65 (203).
All-American Scott Fernandez picked up yet another top-10 finish to pace the Cyclones. The junior reeled off three consecutive rounds of sub-par golf (71-70-71=212) to tie for 10th. The top-10 for Fernandez is the 17th of his career and his third on the season. Fernandez is now just one top-10 shy of tying Jason Knutzon for most career top-10s in school history.
Freshman Nick Voke had the low score of the day for the Cyclones, firing a final-round 69 (76-68-69=213), which lifted him into a tie for 19th individually. In his last two rounds, Voke was seven under par.
Junior Sam Daley’s play aided the Cyclones as well. He tied for 42nd after recording rounds of 72-72-73 for a three-day total of 217.
The team will tee it up next at the Big Four Match on Mar. 1 in Phoenix, Ariz.
5. Oregon State-283-283-289=855
6. Iowa State-291-281-287=859
7. Santa Clara-284-285-291=860
8. Loyola Marymount-290-283-289=862
9. UT Arlington-284-290-290=864
10. Cal Poly-293-287-285=865
12. Texas Tech-290-291-290=871
13. San Francisco-290-299-283=872
14. UC Santa Barbara-290-290-297=877
21. Southern Utah-301-296-295=892
22. Arkansas-Little Rock-299-297-310=906
23. George Mason-306-305-302=913
Iowa State Scores
T10. Scott Fernandez-71-70-71=212
T19. Nick Voke-76-68-69=213
T42. Sam Daley-72-72-73=217
T54. Ruben Sondjaja-72-71-77=220
T100. Blake Waller-78-74-76=228
T115. Duncan Croudis-76-82-74=232
1. Julien Brun, TCU-72-66-65
2. Sulman Raza, Oregon-70-68-70=208