Cyclones Finish Seventh at Big 12 Championship
TRINITY, Texas-The Iowa State men's golf team finished seventh at the 2012 Big 12 Championships, posting its third-straight 299 this afternoon for a four-round 1204 total. Texas A&M won the team title at 1165, three shots ahead of No. 1 Texas at 1168.
Iowa State's seventh-place finish is the second-best showing by the Cyclone men at the league tournament since the Big 12 was formed in 1997 (Iowa State placed third in the inaugural event in 1997).
Cyclone senior star Nate McCoy made a steady rise up the leaderboard each round, carding a 2-under 70 this afternoon to help him tie for 14th with a 297 total (77-76-74-70). McCoy, who is ranked 76th nationally by Golfstat, had three birdies and just one bogey on his card today while recording his best finish in the Big 12 Tournament.
Freshman Sam Daley had an impressive week in his first Big 12 Championships, finishing tied for 18th at 299 (75-71-78-75). Scott Fernandez and Borja Virto tied 27th at 305.
Baylor's Joakim Mikkelsen won the individual title at 285.
Iowa State is hoping its season continues with a NCAA Regional invitation, as the Cyclones are in decent position to earn their first NCAA Regional bid since 1999. Iowa State, which was ranked 59th nationally by Golfstat heading into this weekend, will learn its postseason fate on May 7 when the Regional participants are announced.
1. Texas A&M 296-286-286-297=1165
2. Texas 302-292-283-291=1168
3. Texas Tech 290-298-290-305=1183
4. Oklahoma 292-292-296-305=1185
5. Baylor 304-297-290-296=1187
6. Oklahoma State 310-302-287-297=1196
7. Iowa State 307-299-299-299=1204
8. Missouri 312-301-300-296=1209
9. Kansas State 307-304-307-309=1227
10. Kansas 307-320-304-315=1246
Iowa State Scores
T14. Nate McCoy 77-76-74-70=297
T18. Sam Daley 75-71-78-75=299
T27. Scott Fernandez 80-72-74-79=305
T27. Borja Virto 75-82-73-75=305
48. Duncan Croudis 83-80-85-80=328
1. Joakim Mikkelsen, Baylor 74-71-72-68=285
2. Tyler Dunlap, Texas A&M 73-71-69-74=287
T3. Abraham Ancer, Oklahoma 72-69-69-78=288
T3. Dylan Frittelli, Texas 69-76-67-76=288