Cyclones Hit Road To Face Old Dominion Sunday
AMES, Iowa – The Iowa State wrestling team (4-0, 1-0 Big 12) hits the road for the first time this season Sunday to face Old Dominion (2-1, 0-0 MAC). Wrestling begins at noon CDT on Sunday.
Where: Norfolk, Va. – Ted Constant Center (9,520)
When: Sunday, Nov. 24, noon CDT
Live Stats: Live stats will be available at trackwrestling.com.
Live Blog: Michael DeBates, student assistant for athletics communications, will be holding a live blog during the dual. Fans are encouraged to participate in the blog by asking questions.
- Iowa State has won 14 of its last 16 duals dating back to a 19-15 at Rutgers on Jan. 19 last season.
- Old Dominion transfer John Nicholson will be making his return to Norfolk seeking his 70th-career win at the Division I level. The Des Moines, Iowa native will face No. 17 Tristan Warner, who is 5-2 on the season at 157 pounds.
- Redshirt freshman Lelund Weatherspoon leads the 2013-14 Cyclones with 14 takedowns on the season. His 14 takedowns have translated to wins, as Weatherspoon leads ISU in wins at 9. The Jackson, Mich. native, also leads the team in three-point nearfalls with five.
- No. 3 165-pounder Michael Moreno and 157-pounder John Nicholson are the lone remaining undefeated wrestlers in the Cyclones lineup. Moreno is 8-0 with four bonus-point wins and Nicholson is 6-0 with two pins.
- Four of the five top teams in the USA Today/NWCA/AWN Coaches Poll are on the Cyclones dual schedule this season: No. 2 Minnesota (Feb. 23), No. 3 Iowa (Dec. 1), No. 4 Oklahoma State (Jan. 24) and No. 5 Oklahoma (Jan. 5).
- No. 3 Kyven Gadson has a 18-match dual win streak dating back to last year’s dual with OId Dominion on Nov. 25, 2012 at Hilton Coliseum. Of his 18 wins in the streak, Gadson has scored bonus points in nine of them with five major decisions and four pins.
- The Cyclones had 12 top-five finishes at the Harold Nichols Cyclone Open, led by Moreno, who took home the 165-pound title with an impressive 9-3 win over No. 15 Danny Zilverberg of Minnesota in the championship bout.
- 30 ISU grapplers competed at the annual open tournament picking up 81 wins and 20 pins.
Last Time Out
- The Cyclones remained undefeated on the year picking up two more wins in another home double-dual with Midland and West Virginia.
- In the first dual, a backup-led lineup for Iowa State defeated Midland 38-3.
- In the second dual, ISU picked up its first conference win of the season taking down West Virginia 22-12.
- The Cyclones trailed 6-3 after three matches, then rattled off six straight wins from 149 pounds through 197 pounds.
- Sophomore Earl Hall won his first match of his Cyclone career, defeating West Virginia’s Cody Stainbrook 11-8. Hall notched five takedowns in the victory.
- Gadson scored his first bonus-point dual win, defeating WVU’s Leo Trindade 14-4.
- No. 10 Tanner Weatherman came from behind and scored a late escape to defeat WVU’s Bubba Scheffel 7-6. Weatherman went on to pin Scheffel in the first period the next day at the Harold Nichols Open en route to his second-place finish at 174 pounds.
Series Notes vs. Old Dominion
- Iowa State and Old Dominion met on the mat for the first-time on Nov. 11, 2010. The Cyclones took down the Monarchs 26-11 in Ames.
- The Monarchs lead the all-time series 2-1, as they’ve posted back-to-back dual wins over the Cyclones the past two seasons.
- Last season, ODU defeated ISU 22-13, winning six of the 10 matches.
- ISU is 0-1 all-time in Norfolk, losing 21-16 in 2011.
Follow Iowa State wrestling on Twitter (@CycloneWR) and Facebook (Iowa State Wrestling).