Iowa State Travels to No. 5 UNI Saturday
AMES, Iowa – The Iowa State wrestling team (8-3 overall, 1-2 Big 12) travels east on Highway 20 this weekend to take on instate rival No. 5 UNI (9-0 overall, 5-0 MAC) Saturday evening at sold-out West Gym. The Cyclones have a 10-match dual win streak over the Panthers dating back to Jan. 24, 2004.
Where: Cedar Falls, Iowa – West Gym (2,052)
When: Saturday, Feb. 8, 5 p.m. CDT
Webcast: Cyclones.tv (subscribers only) and unipanthers.com
TV: Panther Sports Network (KCRG 9.2, CFU 15, WOI 5.2, KCAU 9.2)
Twitter: Follow @CycloneWR for live updates following each match.
Live Stats: Live stats will be available at trackwrestling.com. =
Live Blog: Michael DeBates, student assistant for athletics communications, will be holding a live blog during the dual. Fans are encouraged to participate in the blog by asking questions.
- No. 2 Kyven Gadson is currently riding a 25-match dual win streak dating back to Nov. 25, 2012.
- The streak features six pins and six major decisions.
- Gadson is second on the team this season with six wins by fall.
- No. 10 Michael Moreno leads the 2013-14 Cyclones is dual takedowns with 27. The Urbandale, Iowa, native also leads ISU in two other dual categories: nearfalls (7) and reversals (4).
- No. 8 Tanner Weatherman will be gunning for his 40th career victory Saturday night. Weatherman career record sits at 39-20.
- Boaz Beard is anticipated to return to the lineup at 184 pounds to face No. 5 Ryan Loder of UNI. Beard was forced to stay home from the team’s trip to Arizona due to illness.
- Beard is 8-3 overall on the season and won the Grand View Open two weeks ago after going 5-0 with two major decisions and two wins by fall.
- Head coach Kevin Jackson is seeking his 50th dual win as head coach at ISU. Jackson’s career record sits at 45-32 heading into Saturday’s dual with the Panthers.
- Heavyweight Quean Smith looks to post back-to-back dual road wins for the first time in his career.
- Iowa State remained moved up a spot this week to No. 17 in the USA Today/NWCA/AWN Coaches Poll with 85 points.
Last Time Out
- Iowa State snagged its third road win of the season, winning six of ten bouts to down Arizona State 21-12.
- ISU got bonus point wins from its two All-Americans Kyven Gadson and Michael Moreno. Gadson won by fall in 5:50 and Moreno won by major decision, 12-2.
- 133-pounder Shayden Terukina picked up his second dual win of the season. The Kamehameha, Hawaii, native had a five-point throw in the match.
- Clarkdale, Ariz., native Luke Goettl won his sixth dual match of the season in front of an abundance of family and friends, 7-3. Goettl is 2-0 as a Cyclone wrestling in his home state.
- Tanner Weatherman and Quean Smith also notched wins for the Cyclones in the dual. Weatherman came back to win 9-6 and Smith prevailed 3-1 in sudden victory.
- The Panthers head into Saturday evening’s dual undefeated (9-0) with several impressive dual wins over top-ranked competition.
- UNI has four wins over top-25 opponents in the NWCA/USA Today/AWN Coaches Poll: No. 9 Missouri, No. 10 Oklahoma, No. 15 Wisconsin and No. 20 North Dakota State.
- UNI has six ranked grapplers in the latest InterMat poll: No. 6 Dylan Peters (125), No. 1 Joe Colon (133), No. 14 Joey Lazor, No. 11 Cooper Moore, No. 17 Cody Caldwell and No. 5 Ryan Loder (184).
- Weatherman is 1-0 all-time vs. Caldwell, notching a 13-3 major decision over him last season.
- Moreno is 1-0 all-time vs. Cooper Moore, earning a 10-5 win by decision in the semifinals of the Cliff Keen Invite on Dec. 7.
- Loder leads the all-time series with Beard 2-0 with a 6-1 decision in last season’s dual and a 1-0 decision two years ago.
- Iowa State leads the all-time series with Northern Iowa 55-16. The 55 all-time wins over UNI are the second most in school history vs. a Division I opponent.
- The Cyclones have won ten straight vs. the Panthers dating back to Jan. 24, 2004.
- ISU’s average margin of victory in the streak is 15.7 points.
- Last season, ISU downed UNI 22-13, scoring bonus points in three matches.
- Head coach Kevin Jackson is 4-0 all-time vs. the Panthers.
- In Jackson’s first season at the helm in 2009-10, ISU shutout UNI 42-0.
Follow Iowa State wrestling on Twitter (@CycloneWR) and Facebook (Iowa State Wrestling).