Cyclones On Road At TCU Saturday
AMES, Iowa - Iowa State (20-5, 8-5) hits the road to face TCU (9-16, 0-13) Saturday at Daniel-Meyer Coliseum. Tip is scheduled for 3 p.m. on ESPN2.
Where: Ames, Iowa - Daniel-Meyer Coliseum (7,201)
When: Saturday, Feb. 22, 3 p.m. CST
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
Talent: John Walters (PxP), Brent Blum (Color)
Talent: Jon Sciambi (PxP), LaPhonso Ellis (Color)
Live Stats: Live stats will be available at Cyclones.com.
Live Blog: Matt Shoultz, assistant director in the athletics communications department, will be holding a live blog during the game at Cyclones.com. Fans are encouraged to participate in the blog by asking questions.
- ISU (20-5, 8-5) looks to improve on its 5-1 record in February when it travels to TCU (9-16, 0-13) Saturday.
- Head coach Fred Hoiberg won his 82nd game as head coach of the Cyclones vs. UT, which leaves him behind only Larry Eustachy (84) in their first four years leading the program.
- Iowa State is one of just three schools nationally with three players averaging at least 16 ppg (VMI, Delaware). The Cyclones have had five different players tally 20+ points in a game this season. ISU is the only school in the nation to score 70+ points in every game.
- Melvin Ejim is the Big 12’s top scorer at 19.1 points per game, up 7.8 ppg from last season. The last Cyclone to lead the conference in scoring was Marcus Fizer (1999, 2000).
- Ejim, who scored a Big 12 record 48 points and grabbed a career-high 18 boards in first meeting with TCU, is averaging 22.8 points and 11.4 rebounds in the last five games. He’s shooting 57.1 percent in that time. Ejim is the only player in a power conference averaging at least 18 pts, eight rebounds while also shooting at least 50 percent from the field and 35 percent behind the arc.
- Ejim has been named a First-Team Capital One Academic All-American, joining Fred Hoiberg as the only first-team members in school history.
DeAndre Kane recorded his 100th career (121 games played) double-figure scoring game when he scored 22 against Texas. Kane is 10th in the Big 12 in scoring, 13th in rebounding, first in assists and fourth in steals.
- Since struggling against Kansas (4-20 FG) on Jan. 13, Georges Niang has been tough for opponents to stop. Niang is averaging 18.8 ppg and shooting 54.5 percent from the field (46.7 percent 3FG) in the last nine games. He has scored 17 or more points in eight of the nine games.
- Iowa State is leading the Big 12 in scoring (84.1). The Cyclones share and protect the ball as well as anyone in the country, dishing out 18.7 assists (1st in nation) and posting a 1.80 assist/turnover ratio (1st in Big 12, 2nd in nation).
- Freshman Monté Morris has started the last six games and is currently on pace to break the NCAA record with a 5.6 assist-turnover ratio. In conference play, his a/to ratio is 8.3.
- ISU has eight wins over the RPI Top-50, second most in the nation (Kansas, 10).
Series Notes vs. TCU
- TCU leads the all-time series vs. Iowa State at 5-4.
- The Cyclones are 3-0 since TCU joined the Big 12.
- Iowa State swept the season series in 2012-13, winning 87-53 at Hilton Coliseum.
- Melvin Ejim is averaging 22.3 points and 11.3 rebounds in three meetings with TCU. In the first meeting this season, Ejim scored a Big 12 record 48 points to go along with a career-high 18 rebounds.
- Georges Niang averages 13.3 points in his three meetings with TCU.
- Iowa State won the first game this season, 84-69, at Hilton Coliseum.
- TCU beat ISU, 53-52 in San Juan, Puerto Rico on Nov. 29, 1991. ISU head coach Fred Hoiberg was a freshman in that game, scoring 13 points for the Cyclones.
Ejim An Academic All-American
- Melvin Ejim’s impact on the court has been recognized....and so have his achievements in the classroom. Ejim has been named a Capital One First-Team Academic All-American. The History major has a 3.70 GPA and is just the fifth Iowa State player to earn the honor. He joins Fred Hoiberg as the only first-team honorees.
Follow Iowa State men's basketball on Facebook and Twitter (@CycloneMBB).