Cyclones Wrap Up Season With No. 3 Oklahoma
AMES, Iowa - Iowa State (14-36, 2-19 Big 12) will host No. 3 Oklahoma (42-8, 16-5 Big 12) in its final series of the season this weekend. On Saturday, the Cyclones will honor seniors Dalyn Varela and Lauren Kennewell.
Erica Miller will lead the Cyclones against the Sooners this weekend. Miller leads the Cyclones during Big 12 play in average (.381), hits (24), extra-base hits (nine), home runs (five), RBIs (15), slugging (.643) and on-base percentage (.420). The junior's numbers rank in the top 10 in the league in average, slugging, hits, RBIs, doubles, home runs and total bases.
The Sooners are led, both at the plate and in the circle, by Keilani Ricketts. The junior left-hander is hitting .385 against Big 12 foes this season with seven home runs and 17 RBIs. Through 17 pitching appearances, 14 starts, Ricketts has thrown three shutouts, amassing 138 strikeouts in 98.2 innings and compiled a 1.49 ERA.
Game one of the weekend series is set for 4 p.m. CST Friday at the Southwest Athletic Complex.
- Iowa State wraps up the 2012 season hosting No. 3 Oklahoma this weekend.
- On Saturday, the Cyclones will recognize seniors Dalyn Varela and Lauren Kennewell.
- Erica Miller led Iowa State with four hits last weekend against No. 25 Baylor. Miller leads the club with a .281 average both overall and in conference this season.
- The junior ranks in the top 10 in the Big 12 in batting average (.381, 7th), slugging (.639, 10th), hits (56, 7th) and doubles (11, T7th) this season.
- The Baylor series was the first of the season in which neither a Cyclone nor an opponent hit a home run.
- Heading into the final weekend of the season, Miller remains Iowa State's most consistent bat with runners, hitting .407 with runners and .400 with runners in scoring position during league play.
- Of players with at least 12 at bats with runners in scoring position against Big 12 opponents, Tori Torrescano (.313) and Sara Rice (.308) are also averaging over .300.
- Although Miller (6), Torrescano (3) and Rice (3) lead the team with two-out RBIs in conference play, Sara Davison and Lexi Slater have hit for higher averages among players with at least 12 such at-bats with marks of .462 and .316, respectively.
- Over the Cyclones' last 10 Big 12 contests, Miller has lead all players with a .357 average, counting four extra-base hits (including two home runs), six RBIs and a .643 slugging percentage.
- Lexi Slater is second during the stretch with a .314 batting average and Torrescano is hitting .280 with three home runs, nine RBIs, a .640 slugging mark and seven walks.
Notable Big 12 Rankings
- Iowa State is second in the Big 12 this season with 435 assists. Lexi Slater (110, 5th), Dalyn Varela (107, 6th), and Sara Davison (93, 8th) all rank in the top-10 for individual assists.
- Erica Miller ranks in the top-10 in the conference in several categories: batting average (.381, 7th), slugging (.639, 10th), hits (56, 7th) and doubles (11, T7th).
- Fellow junior Tori Torrescano boasts three top-10 areas: slugging (.640, 9th), RBIs (43, 8th) and home runs (13, T8th).
- Slater is tied with Miller in seventh with 10 doubles.
- Davison is tied for third in the Big 12 with eight sacrifice bunts.
- Varela has been hit by a pitch eight times this season, third-most in the league.
- Miller's 363 putouts are third-most in the conference.
- The Cyclones' 35 total bases against Brown are tops in the league and their six home runs in the same game ties for the most this season by a Big 12 program.
- During their series, Iowa State and Texas Tech topped the league with the most runs scored (26), hits (27), RBIs (23), total bases (42) and assists (32) in a game this season. The first four marks were set during the March 30 game, the other on April 1.
- Miller is one of three players with a league-best four runs scored in a game. Miller had four runs scored against Brown.
- In league play, the Cyclones are second in assists with 189. Slater (55, T2nd), Varela (43, T7th) and Davison (40, 10th) rank in the top-10 individually.
- Against Big 12 opponents, Miller is fifth in batting average (.381), seventh in slugging (.683), tied for sixth in hits (24), tied in 10th in RBIs (15), tied seventh in home runs (five), tied at 10th in doubles (four) and tied for fifth in total bases (43).
- Miller has 165 putouts against Big 12 teams, ranked third.
Getting to Know No. 3 Oklahoma
- Oklahoma leads the all-time series with Iowa State, 59-28.
- The Cyclones dropped two games at then-No. 15 Oklahoma last season, 13-0 and 4-1.
- In the first game of the 2011 series, Anna Cole was the only Cyclone to record a hit against the trio of Keilani Ricketts, Michelle Gascoigne and Kristen Allen.
- Oklahoma scored six earned runs off 15 hits, sending home seven runs on four Iowa State errors.
- In game two, Erica Miller and Dalyn Varela managed the only hits off Ricketts, who allowed no earned runs through seven innings while striking out 14.
- Ricketts is at the top of her game and the Big 12 again this season, leading OU with a .385 average in conference play to go with her 1.49 ERA.
- Hitting against Big 12 foes, Ricketts has hit seven home runs, driven in 17 runs and walked 19 times.
- In the circle, Ricketts has thrown three shutouts in conference play and fanned 138 batters in 98.2 innings.
- Three other Sooners boast averages of over .300 in Big 12 play this season: Lauren Chamberlain (.368), Brianna Turang (.309) and Destinee Martinez (.306).
- Five Sooners have at least 10 RBIs in league play: Chamberlain (20), Ricketts (17), Jessica Shults (14), Javen Henson (11) and Georgia Casey (10).
- With three players with at least 14 home runs this season, the Sooners lead the Big 12 with 34 long balls in league play.
- Ricketts, Gascoigne and Allen have combined for one of the league's top pitching staffs, ranked first in conference play in ERA (1.59), strike outs (186), runs allowed (42), earned runs allowed (33) and walks (27).
- Ricketts has hit almost as many batters (12) as she has walked (17).