Iowa State Heads to Texas Tech for Three Games
More from Cyclones.tv
TexasTech.TV will live stream all three games on a subscription basis. For more information, click here. Live stats will be provided for all three games, with the links for each to the right. Iowa State Assistant Director for Athletics Communications Patrick Tarbox will host a live blog during the games that can be accessed here.
- After nine straight games at home, the Iowa State softball team is back on the road in Big 12 play with a three-game series at Texas Tech, starting Friday night.
- Iowa State has already played three games this week, splitting a doubleheader against South Dakota on Tuesday before playing a five-inning 6-6 tie against Iowa on Wednesday.
- Brittany Gomez continues to be one of the most prolific lead-off hitters in the country, ranking sixth in the Big 12 and 80th in the NCAA with her .403 batting average. Gomez has 62 hits on the season, marking the third-60+ hit season in Iowa State history. The sophomore got one of those two seasons last year when she recorded 66 hits.
- During Iowa State’s doubleheader against Northern Illinois, Gomez became Iowa State’s all-time leader in career stolen bases. The sophomore, now with 53 steals to her name in her career, beat the record of 48 previously held by Adi Blackmon (2000-03). Gomez’s 22 steals in 2014 puts her tied for forth in the Big 12 39th in the NCAA.
- Against Drake, Gomez became the first player in ISU history to record two seasons with at least 20 stolen bases.
- Lexi Slater came into 2014 with a career batting average of .248 in her first two seasons as a Cyclone. This year, the junior has become one of Iowa State’s biggest batting threats, hitting .360 with a .625 slugging percentage. She ranks tied for second in the Big 12 with 13 doubles in 2014. Her seven home runs this season is the most in a single season in Slater’s career.
- Sara Davison has been one of the most disciplined hitters in the country in 2014. Iowa State’s career walks leader with 81 to her name, 18 coming in 2014, ranks 17th in the NCAA among batters that are most difficult to strikeout. The senior has only struck out five times in 132 at bats in 2014.
- Jorden Spendlove comes into this weekend’s series riding a 10-game hit streak. She joins Erica Miller (2010-13) as the only players with two 10-game hit streaks in a career in Iowa State history.
- Iowa State’s first Big 12 win of the season came by way of a 2-0 shutout victory over the Cowgirls. It was the fifth shutout of the season for Iowa State and the first against a Big 12 opponent since a 3-0 win over Kansas in 2009.