Cyclones Come Up Short at Charleston Southern
MT. PLEASANT, S.C. – The Iowa State tennis team lost another close match Saturday afternoon to Charleston Southern, falling 4-3 despite winning the doubles point. Charleston Southern moves to 2-0 overall and Iowa State drops to 0-7.
Iowa State secured the doubles point for the first time of the spring season, but it was not enough to propel the team to an overall win. Maria Macedo and Jenna Langhorst grabbed No. 1 doubles, and their teammates Marie-Christine Chartier and Tessa Lang dominated at No. 3.
“It was exciting winning the first point of the match,” head coach Armando Espinosa said. “We had the momentum going for us but we just couldn’t take advantage of it.”
Simona Cacciuttolo and Ksenia Pronina won their respective singles matches for the second time this weekend. Pronina shined in the No. 2 spot, sweeping Angelica Sidorenko in straight sets, 7-5, 7-6 (5).
Cacciuttolo controlled the No. 3 slot, winning 6-4, 6-3 over Yvonne Hubler.
“We fought hard, but they just made more balls than we did,” Espinosa said. “They were feisty and we didn’t have an answer for it.”
Iowa State will hit the road to meet the Northern Iowa Panthers in duals next weekend in Waterloo, Iowa.
1. Olga Makhova (CS) def. Maria Fernanda Macedo (ISU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Ksenia Pronina (ISU) def. Angelica Sidorenko 7-5, 7-6 (5)
3. Simona Cacciuttolo (ISU) def. Yvonne Hubler (CS) 6-4, 6-3
4. Marija Dzakovic (CS) def. Meghan Cassens (ISU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Alexandra Walters (CS) def. Jenna Langhorst (ISU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
6. Alia Nour (CS) def. Marie-Christine Chartier (ISU) 6-4, 7-6 (3)
1. Macedo/Langhorst (ISU) def. Dzakovic/Makhova (CS)8-2
2. Walters/Hubler (CS) def. Cacciuttolo/Pronina (ISU) 8-2
3. Lang/Chartier (ISU) def. Das/Nour (CS) 8-5