Cyclones Fall To Houston, 4-3
HOUSTON, Texas – The Iowa State tennis team met the Houston Cougars on the road this afternoon and dropped a close 4-3 match. The loss lowers Iowa State to 3-9 and moves Houston to 6-3 overall on the season.
Marie-Christine Chartier and Tessa Lang started the doubles competition off in Iowa State’s favor, snatching an 8-3 win over Charlotte Phillips and Maja Kazimieruk in the No. 3 spot. Despite the pair’s quick win, spots 1 and 2 went in Houston’s favor 8-6 each.
It was back-and-forth from there, and the match was not decided until the very end. Simona Cacciuttolo and Meghan Cassens’ wins at No. 3 and No. 4, respectively, evened up the score to 3-3 after Marie-Christine Chartier captured the first Cyclone singles point.
The momentum was not enough for Iowa State to clinch the team victory. Houston’s Maja Kazimieruk controlled No. 5 singles in a hard-fought battle against Iowa State junior Jenna Langhorst to wrap up the match in the Cougars’ favor.
Iowa State faces No. 35 Stephen F. Austin University tomorrow at 11 a.m.
1. Giorgia Pozzan (UH) def. Maria Fernanda Macedo (ISU), 7-6(5), 6-1
2. Bryony Hunter (UH) def. Ksenia Pronina (ISU), 6-1, 6-4
3. Simona Cacciuttolo (ISU) def. Charlotte Phillips (UH), 7-5, 6-2
4. Meghan Cassens (ISU) def. Liselot Koenen (UH), 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
5. Maja Kazimieruk (UH) def. Jenna Langhorst (ISU), 5-7, 6-1, 6-4
6. Marie-Christine Chartier (ISU) def. Laura Ring (UH), 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 1,6,2,3,4,5
1. Pozzan/Hunter (UH) def. Macedo/Langhorst (ISU), 8-6
2. Koenen/Ring (UH) def. Pronina/Cacciuttolo (ISU), 8-6
3. Chartier/Lang (ISU) def. Phillips/Kazimieruk (UH), 8-3
Order of Finish: 3,1,2