Cyclones Fall To No. 16 Texas A&M, 6-1
AMES, Iowa – Iowa State suffered a 6-1 loss to the No. 16 Texas A&M Aggies Sunday afternoon. Cyclone senior Marie-Christine Chartier captured the sole Iowa State win of the day. The loss drops Iowa State’s record to 3-12, 0-2 Big 12, and improves A&M to 11-1, 2-0.
The Aggies swept all three doubles matches to snag the first point at Iowa State's Forker Tennis Courts today. In singles, No. 7 Cristina Sanchez-Quintanar won the first match due to Maria Fernanda Macedo, an Iowa State senior, retiring on account of a sore ankle.
Chartier put Iowa State on the board as the final match of the day. Her 6-4, 6-7, 1-0 (7) super breaker match at No. 6 improved the senior to 9-5 overall in singles play this season.
Iowa State will take a road trip next weekend to Norman, Okla. to visit the Sooners on Friday, March 23. The squad will then travel to Stillwater, Okla. to face off against the Oklahoma State Cowgirls the following day.
1. No. 7 Cristina Sanchez-Quintanar (TAMU) def. Maria Macedo (ISU) 5-0 ret.
2. No. 111 Nazari Urbina (TAMU) def. Ksenia Pronina (ISU) 6-1, 6-4
3. No. 70 Sun Wen (TAMU) def. Simona Cacciuttolo (ISU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Lauren Santacroce (TAMU) def. Meghan Cassens (ISU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Janine Erasmus (TAMU) def. Jenna Langhorst (ISU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Marie-Christine Chartier (ISU) def. Sheri Olivier (TAMU) 6-4, 6-7, 1-0 (7)
1. Sanchez-Quintanar/Wen (TAMU) def. Macedo/Pronina (ISU) 8-0
2. Cuthbertson/Urbina (TAMU) def. Langhorst/Cacciuttolo (ISU) 8-3
3. Olivier/Santacroce (TAMU) def. Chartier/Lang (ISU) 8-3