Kansas State Tops Cyclones 4-3
AMES, Iowa – Despite notable singles performances, Iowa State was unable to overcome the Kansas State Wildcats Friday afternoon, dropping the match 4-3. The loss at Ames Racquet and Fitness brings Iowa State’s record to 3-16 overall and 0-6 Big 12 and improves Kansas State to 6-13, 2-5 in the conference.
Simona Cacciuttolo continued her strong play, winning in both of her contests today. The junior dominated the No. 3 singles spot over Ana Gomez Aleman, taking the sets 6-0, 6-1. In doubles, she teamed up with Marie-Christine Chartier at No. 2 to bring Iowa State its only doubles win. The pair ousted Carmen Ramos and Petra Chuda 8-5 after the doubles point had already been clinched by KSU. Cacciuttolo is 4-0 in the last two dual meets.
Chartier nabbed another win as well at the No. 6 spot. She blanked Petra Chuda in the first set and won set two 7-5. Chartier has chalked up three conference wins in her final season.
Meghan Cassens was the other Cyclone to gain a win in the dual. Though the match was clinched in Kansas State’s favor, it did not stop Cassens from controlling the No. 4 singles slot in a ten-point tiebreak, 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (8).
The Cyclones will take tomorrow off in preparation for the final home meet of the season, which will take place Sunday against Kansas. If weather permits, the match will take place outdoors at the Forker Courts at noon, but if rain forces the match inside, action will take off at 8 a.m. at Ames Racquet and Fitness.
Because it is the last home meet, a short ceremony will precede the match honoring Iowa State’s four senior student-athletes.
Singles (Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2, 5, 6, 4)
1. Petra Niedermayerova (KSU) def. Maria Macedo (ISU) 6-1, 6-2
2. Karla Bonacic (KSU) def. Ksenia Pronina (ISU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Simona Cacciuttolo (ISU) def. Ana Gomez Aleman (KSU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Meghan Cassens (ISU) def. Amina St. Hill (KSU) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (8)
5. Carmen Borau Ramos (KSU) def. Jenna Langhorst (ISU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-1
6. Marie-Christine Chartier (ISU) def. Petra Chuda (KSU) 6-0, 7-5
Doubles (Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2)
1. Bonacic/Niedermayerova (KSU) def. Macedo/Lang (ISU) 8-2
2. Cacciuttolo/Chartier (ISU) def. Ramos/Chuda (KSU) 8-5
3. Trousilova/Wischhoff (KSU) def. Langhorst/Pronina (ISU) 8-3