Cyclones Roll To 6-1 Win Over Kansas On Senior Day
AMES, Iowa – Iowa State tennis secured a 6-1 win over the Kansas Jayhawks Sunday. The Senior Day victory was the Cyclones’ first Big 12 win of the season and marks the first time since 1981 that the Iowa State has won in the series against Kansas. The win improves Iowa State’s record to 4-16 overall and 1-6 Big 12. Kansas falls to 9-10 overall and 0-7 in league play.
The Cyclones controlled every singles match today at the Ames Racquet and Fitness Center. Iowa State senior Maria Macedo, junior Jenna Langhorst and freshman Ksenia Pronina captured their first conference wins of the spring. Macedo downed Monica Pezzotti 6-4, 6-2 at the premiere spot, and Pronina soon followed suit at No. 2 with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Paulina Los.
Meghan Cassens, another Iowa State freshman, topped Dylan Windom 6-3, 6-4 at the No. 4 spot, and the match was clinched for Iowa State after Simona Cacciuttolo defeated Maria Belen Luduena in the No. 3 spot. The 6-4, 6-3 win marked the fourth Big 12 win for the junior. Langhorst finished out the No. 5 position in a three-set decision, winning 6-2, 5-7, 6-3 over Claire Dreyer to win her first conference match this season. Marie-Christine Chartier wrapped up the match with the final Iowa State win at the No. 6 position. She defeated Victoria Khanevskaya in two sets, 6-2, 7-5.
The Jayhawks secured the doubles point despite a strong Iowa State effort to avoid the sweep. For Iowa State, Chartier and Cacciuttolo were perfect on the weekend, taking the No. 2 slot over Los and Luduena 8-5.
The Cyclones' 6-1 win is the largest win margin of a conference match in Iowa State’s history since the seven-point scoring system was adopted in 2001.
With all of their home matches completed, the Cyclones will travel next weekend to finish out regular-season conference competition at Baylor on Friday and Texas Tech on Sunday.
1. Maria Fernanda Macedo (ISU) def. Monica Pezzotti (KU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Ksenia Pronina (ISU) def. Paulina Los (KU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Simona Cacciuttolo (ISU) def. Maria Belen Luduena (KU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Meghan Cassens (ISU) def. Dylan Windom (KU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Jenna Langhorst (ISU) def. Claire Dreyer (KU) 6-2, 5-7, 6-3
6. Marie-Christine Chartier (ISU) def. Victoria Khanevskaya (KU) 6-2, 7-5
1. Pezzotti/Windom (KU) def. Macedo/Lang (ISU) 8-5
2. Cacciuttolo/Chartier (ISU) def. Los/Luduena (KU) 8-5
3. Dreyer/Khanevskaya (KU) def. Langhorst/Pronina (ISU) 8-6