No. 11 Cyclones Host Iowa State Challenge
Cyclones.TV Powered by Mediacom will show both Iowa State matches live. The channel listings for the Ames/Des Moines area is below:
With Digital Cable Box
HD Channel: 798
SD Channel: 165
Without Digital Cable Box
SD Channel: 59.2
Live stats for all three matches will be provided by cyclones.com, and a live blog will be hosted during the Iowa State matches.
- No. 11 Iowa State hosts one of the top tournaments in the country this weekend as the Cyclones welcome No. 14 San Diego and No. 18 Illinois to the Iowa State Challenge. San Diego and Illinois will play on Saturday at noon.
- The Cyclones are 4-0 after surviving a five-setter at Northern Iowa Wednesday. The Cyclones began the 2013 season with three wins at the UND Classic in Grand Forks, N.D.
- Senior libero Kristen Hahn has proven herself as one of the best players in the nation, and she has the stats to back it up with a team-high 93 digs at a staggering 6.20 digs per set.
- Hahn has recorded at least 10 digs in 44 straight matches, tying the school record set by Ashley Mass in 2007-08. Hahn also has at least 20 digs in seven of ISU’s last eight matches.
- Hahn won her 13th career Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week award for her efforts in the UND Classic.
- Ciara Capezio is off to a tremendous start to her career at Iowa State. The freshman led the way at UNI with 22 kills. That is the highest total by a Big 12 player this season.
- The Cyclones lead the Big 12 in assists (14.60) and aces (1.73) while Kristen Hahn leads the league in digs with a staggering 6.20 per set.
- Tenisha Matlock was named the MVP of the UND Classic with Mackenzie Bigbee and Hahn joining her on the All-Tournament team.
- The win over Texas A&M was the 175th of Christy Johnson-Lynch’s career. She has now led ISU to wins in the first three matches of the season five times in her tenure.
- Three Cyclones were named to the Big 12 Preseason Team in Mackenzie Bigbee, Hahn and Victoria Hurtt. Hahn and Hurtt were unanimous selections.
- Both Hahn and Hurtt are also returning All-Americans. Hahn, the two-time defending Big 12 Libero of the Year, was named to the AVCA second-team, and Hurtt earned honorable metion.
- Many of ISU’s stars got the chance to compete as part of USA Volleyball set ups. Bigbee, Hahn and Hurtt all were part of the A2 Program and Caitlin Nolan participated with the Junior National Team (see page six for more info).
About No. 14 San Diego
- The No. 14 San Diego Toreros enter the Iowa State Challenge with a 2-1 record, last cometing in the Chevron Rainbow Wahine Invitational in Hawai’i.
- USD started the tournament with a four-set UTEP beofre taking on then top-ranked Texas, taking the Longhorns to five sets.
- The next day, San Diego closed out the tournament with an upset win of then-No. 11 Hawai’i in five sets. UH is one of the tougest places to play in the country, consistently leading the nation in attendance and having over 7,000 see the Wahine take on the Toreros.
- USD has three efficient attackers leading its frontluine in Katile Hoekman, Chloe Ferrari and Alaysia Brown. Hoekman leads the team with 45 kills at a .470 hitting clip in her first three matches. Ferrari, a 2012 First Team All-WCC honoree, is hitting .431 with 37 kills and a team-high 16 blocks. Brown has 44 kills at a .305 clip.
- San Diego finished 2012 with a 21-7 record and a 13-3 mark in the West Coast Conference to tie for the conference title. USD played Michigan State in the NCAA Championship, falling in three sets to the Spartans.
- This will be the third meeting all-time between the two schools. USD won the first meeting in five sets in 2006 at a tournament in Irvine, Calif. The Cyclones pulled an upset on the big stage in 2007, defeating the then No. 16 Toreros in five sets in the first round of the NCAA Championship.
About No. 18 Illinois
- The No. 18 Illinois Fighting Illini began their season at the Long Beach State Mizuno Invitational last weekend. Illinois swept then-No. 18 Florida State before falling in four sets to Long Beach State the same day. The next day, the Illini prevailed in a five-setter against then-No. 17 Kentucky.
- Illinois was one of two schools (USC) to defeat two ranked opponents on the first weekend of the season.
- The Fighting Illini are one of the top blocking teams in the country, leading the Big Ten with 3.04 blocks per set. Redshirt freshman Maddie Meyers won Big Ten Freshman of the Week by pacing Illinois at 1.67 blocks per set.
- Illinois sophomore Jocelynn Birks was the MVP of the LBSU tournament, posting 58 kills at 4.83 per set.
- The Illini have an outstanding libero in senior Jennifer Bletran, who has over 1,700 digs in her career and is averaging 4.25 digs per set this season.
- Illinois freshman middle blocker Katie Stadick is the younger sister of former Iowa State middle blocker Deb Stadick (2008-11).
- Illinois went 14-16 last season, finishing eighth in the Big Ten.
- This will be the fifth meeting in school history between Iowa State and Illinois, with the Illini havinga 3-1 edge. The two teams faced off twice in Champaign last season, with Illinois earning a 3-0 sweep and ISU taking the second meeting in five sets.
- In the Iowa State win, Mackzenzie Bigbee tied the Iowa State freshman record with 25 kills in the match.