No. 25 Cyclones Start Big 12 Play Against Baylor
The match will be shown live on Cyclones.TV and Cyclones.TV Powered by Mediacom. Live stats will be available on cyclones.com and a live blog will be hosted as well.
- No. 25 Iowa State returns to Hilton Coliseum for the first time in three weeks when the Cyclones open up Big 12 play with a match against Baylor at 4 p.m.
- ISU is coming off of a four-set victory Saturday night at Iowa as part of the Iowa Corn Cy-Hawk Series. Mackenzie Bigbee led the Cyclones with 16 kills and the first three aces of her career.
- Three of Iowa State’s four losses this season have come to ranked opponents via current No. 8 San Diego, No. 12 Nebraska and No. 24 Illinois. St. Mary’s in among other teams receiving votes in the AVCA Coaches Poll.
- The Cyclones also started the 2012 season 6-4 after 10 matches. Iowa State went on to a 22-8 and made its fifth trip to the NCAA Regional Semifinals in the last six seasons.
- Iowa State has won six of eight Big 12 Conference opening matches under head coach Christy Johnson-Lynch. The Cyclones are facing Baylor for the fourth time to open conference play under Johnson-Lynch, with ISU winning all three previous openers (2006, 2007 and 2012).
- Senior libero Kristen Hahn has proven herself as one of the best players in the nation, and she has the stats to back it up with a team-high 196 digs at 5.44 digs per set, first in the Big 12 and 10th nationally.
- Hahn has 50 straight matches with at lest 10 digs. Against San Diego, Hahn broke Ashley Mass’ previous school record for consecutive 10+ dig matches, which was 44 across the 2007-08 seasons.
- Hahn won her 13th career Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week award for her efforts in the UND Classic.
- Iowa State leads the Big 12 as a team in service aces with 1.61 per set. Tory Knuth and Caitlin Nolan are tied for second in the league for aces per set (0.39) and the Cyclones rank 34th nationally in the category.
- Three Cyclones were named to the Big 12 Preseason Team in Mackenzie Bigbee, Hahn and Victoria Hurtt. Hahn and Hurtt were unanimous selections.
- Both Hahn and Hurtt are also returning All-Americans. Hahn, the two-time defending Big 12 Libero of the Year, was named to the AVCA second-team, and Hurtt earned honorable metion.
- The Baylor Bears are currently 8-8, having won three in a row coming into Saturday’s match and six of their last eight.
- Baylor is coming off a four-set victory over UTSA Tuesday night. The Bears had four players in double figures for both kills and digs.
- The Bears attack is led by preseason All-Big 12 selection Zoe Adom. The senior averages 3.07 kills per set.
- She will be supported in attack by Laura Jones and Thea Munch-Soegaard. Jones averages 2.23 kills per set while Much-Soegaard adds 2.67 kills per set and 2.65 digs per set.
- The Baylor defense is anchored by Mackenzie Mayo, who is eighth in the Big 12 at 3.35 digs per set.
- The all-time series between Iowa State and Baylor is tied 18-18, though the Cyclones have won the last seven meetings. ISU swept the Bears in both meetings last season.