No. 25 Iowa State Closes Regular Season at K-State
The match can been seen via a subscription to K-StateHD.TV. Live stats will be provided by kstatesports.com, and cyclones.com will host a live blog. Due to rules against live blogging NCAA Championship events, this will be the final live blog of the volleyball season. The blog will start at 6:30 p.m. to allow for questions to be answered in advance of the match.
- No. 25 Iowa State closes out the regular season with a trip to the Little Apple to take on Kansas State Saturday at 7 p.m.
- The Cyclones are coming off a four-set loss at home to No. 1 Texas on Wednesday. Mackenzie Bigbee and Victoria Hurtt led the way with 11 kills and Kristen Hahn paced the defense with 24 digs in her last match at Hilton Coliseum.
- Led by Hahn, the Cyclones dug 64 Texas shots and out-dug the Longhorns 64-to-60. Iowa State leads the Big 12 in digs per set and have out-dug their opponents in 22-of-26 matches this season.
- Mackenzie Bigbee has over 300 kills for the second season running. She is averaing 3.26 kills per set at a .259 hitting percentage.
- Bigbee has at least 10 kills in the last five matches, hitting over .280 in three of those matches.
- Kristen Hahn continues to be one of the best liberos in the coutnry. The senior leads the Big 12 and is ranked fourth nationally with 5.77 digs per set.
- Hahn has won the Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week Award five times this season and a record 17 times in her career.
- Iowa State has been one of the best serving teams in the country. The Cyclones, as they have for the entirety of the 2013 season, lead the Big 12 in service aces per set (1.71 per set) and are the leaders in total aces in spite of playing the second-fewest sets in the league this year.
- Iowa State’s serving is now garnering the attention of the NCAA rankings. Going into this week’s matches, the Cyclones rank ninth in the country in aces per set. The Big 12’s leading server, Tory Knuth, ranks 20th nationally.
- Six of Iowa State’s seven losses have come to teams with an RPI in the top-25. Those losses were to Texas (No. 1), Nebraska (No. 8), Kansas (No. 12), San Diego (No. 15), Illinois (No. 17) and Oklahoma (No. 23). At No. 61 in the RPI, St. Mary’s is ISU’s other loss in 2013.
About Kansas State
- The Kansas State Wildcats are on the bubble for the NCAA Championship with a 17-11 overall record, 5-10 in the Big 12 and need a win Saturday to stay in the conversation for an at-large bid.
- K-State’s NCAA hopes took a hit when they were swept at TCU Wednesday night.
- The Wildcats were held to a .062 hitting percentage as the Horned Frogs put up 13 blocks on Kansas State.
- Kaitlynn Pelger leads the K-State attack with 3.06 kills per set at a .261 hitting percentage. She also averages 1.05 blocks per set.
- KSU ranks second during Big 12 matches in blocks per set at 2.72 rejections per set. Taylor Johnson averages 1.24 blocks per set for the Wildcats.
- Iowa State leads the all-time series against Kansas State 45-36. The Cyclones have come out on top of the last two meetings of the teams.
- ISU swept K-State back on Oct. 9 in Hilton Coliseum. Morgan Kuhrt came off the bench to record a then-career-high 10 kills at a .444 hitting percentage. Ciara Capezio added 11 kills.
- Kristen Hahn paced the Iowa State defense with 20 digs as the Cyclones restricted the Wildcats to hitting .091 for the match.