No. 25 Iowa State Heads to Texas Tech
Fans can follow along with live stats, and can also partake in Iowa State's live blog during the match.
- No. 25 Iowa State begins a busy week on the road Wednesday night when the Cyclones take on Texas Tech at 6 p.m. in United Spirit Arena. The match will be televised by Fox Sports Southwest.
- The Cyclones started off Big 12 play Saturday at Hilton Coliseum with a 3-0 sweep of Baylor. The Cyclones have now won seven of nine Big 12 openers under Christy Johnson-Lynch.
- The Cyclones were led by 11 kills from Mackenzie Bigbee and 10 from Victoria Hurtt against the Bears. Tory Knuth chipped in four aces and Jenelle Hudson added three of her own. Kristen Hahn led the defense with 21 digs while Ciara Capezio chipped in 14.
- Of those seven victories, ISU has gone on to start Big 12 play 2-0 twice, accomplishing the feat in 2007 and 2011. Iowa State’s best start to Big 12 play came in 2011, when the Cyclones started 3-0.
- Three of Iowa State’s four losses this season have come to ranked opponents via current No. 8 San Diego, No. 12 Nebraska and No. 24 Illinois. St. Mary’s in among other teams receiving votes in the AVCA Coaches Poll.
- The Cyclones also started the 2012 season 5-4 after nine matches. Iowa State went on to a 22-8 and made its fifth trip to the NCAA Regional Semifinals in the last six seasons.
- As a team, Iowa State leads the Big 12 with 1.61 service aces per set. Tory Knuth is the Big 12’s top server with 0.52 aces per set, and Kristen Hahn leads the league with 5.56 digs per set.
- Senior libero Kristen Hahn has proven herself as one of the best players in the nation, and she has the stats to back it up with a team-high 217 digs at 5.56 digs per set, first in the Big 12 and ninth nationally.
- Hahn won her 14th career Big 12 Defensive Player of the Week award for her efforts agaisnt Baylor.
- Hahn has 51 straight matches with at lest 10 digs. Against San Diego, Hahn broke Ashley Mass’ previous school record for consecutive 10+ dig matches, which was 44 across the 2007-08 seasons.
- Three Cyclones were named to the Big 12 Preseason Team in Mackenzie Bigbee, Hahn and Victoria Hurtt. Hahn and Hurtt were unanimous selections.
About Texas Tech
- The Texas Tech Red Raiders come into Wednesday’s match with a 7-9 record overall with an 0-1 standing in the Big 12 Conference.
- TTU dropped a four-set decision at Oklahoma last Wednesday night. In her Red Raider debut, Jenna Allen, a South Carolina transfer, led the way wtih 21 kills while Breeann David chipped in 18 kills and 21 digs.
- David leads the Big 12 in kills with 4.12 per set. She also contributes 2.34 digs per set.
- Texas Tech also features one of the better liberos in the Big 12 in Rachel Brummitt, who is only behind Kristen Hahn in digs with 5.36 per set.
- The Red Raiders lead the all-time series 20-17, but have not seen much of that success recently as Iowa State has prevailed in the last 13 meetings.
- In 2012, ISU won in four in Lubbock before completing the season sweep in Ames. Tech’s last win in the series came in 2006 in five sets at TTU.