Cyclones Host Carthage in Exhibition Finale
AMES, Iowa - The No. 23/20 Iowa State women's basketball team plays its final exhibition game on Wednesday, Nov. 6 at 7 p.m. when it hosts Carthage at Hilton Coliseum.
-Iowa State plays its final exhibition game on Wednesday, Nov. 6 at Hilton Coliseum at 7 p.m. The Cyclones defeated Wayne State College 76-52 in the exhibition opener. Senior Hallie Christofferson led the Cyclones with a double-double (24 points, 10 rebounds).
- Freshman Seanna Johnson came up big for the Cyclones with 15 points and six rebounds. Johnson shot 5-of-9 from the field and 5-of-7 from the charity stripe in her Hilton Coliseum debut.
- Iowa State officially opens the 41st season in the history of the program Sunday, Nov. 10 when it hosts North Dakota in the season opener for both squads. The Cyclones have made 14 NCAA Tournaments, all of which have come under the direction of Bill Fennelly.
- Iowa State holds an all-time record of 633-535 (.542). The Cyclones have had 10-straight winning seasons.
- Head Coach Bill Fennelly is in his 19th season at Iowa State, boasting a record of 396-182 (.685). This marks his 26th season overall as a head coach (562-235).
- Iowa State debuted at No. 20 in the USA Today Coaches Preseason Poll. The Cyclones were one of four Big 12 teams in the preseason rankings joining No. 10 Baylor, No. 14 Oklahoma and No. 24 Oklahoma State. ISU was also ranked 23rd in the AP Poll. ESPNW’s Preseason Power Rankings also place the Cyclones at 20th nationally.
- Iowa State returns senior forward Hallie Christofferson who led ISU in scoring with15.6 points per game and grabbed 6.7 rebounds per game. ISU also returns its top assister in Nikki Moody (7.4 apg) and its top three-point shooter in Brynn Williamson (68 three’s).
- Hallie Christofferson was named to the Preseason All-Big 12 First-Team for the 2013-14 season after a breakout season that earned her honorable mention All-America honors by the AP and WBCA, while also being named a unanimous selection to the All-Big 12 first team last season. She was also named to the Wooden Award Preseason Top 30.
- Iowa State finished second in the Big 12 in scoring defense, holding opponents to an average of 57.6 points. The Cyclones also dominated on the glass, outrebounding opponents by 7.9 boards per game and ranking third in the Big 12.
- Iowa State returns three players that hit at least 40 three-pointers last season: Brynn Williamson (68), Hallie Christofferson (55) and Kidd Blaskowski (48).
- Iowa State has won 70-straight regular season nonconference games at Hilton Coliseum. The streak dates back to the 2003-04 season (Last loss: Washington (12/21/03)).
Iowa State Team Quick Facts
- Iowa State has 12 players on its roster from five different states (Iowa, Texas, Missouri , Minnesota and Arizona).
- Iowa State returns three starters from last season in Christofferson, Moody and Williamson. In all, Iowa State returns 61 percent of its scoring and 58 percent of its rebounding.
- Iowa State was picked to finish sixth in the Big 12 for the second-consecutive year. Last season the Cyclones were also picked sixth but advanced to the Big 12 Championship Final, finishing second in the league.
For more information on Cyclone women's basketball follow us on Twitter (@CycloneWBB).