Kansas State Outlasts Iowa State, 67-55
MANHATTAN, Kan. - Kansas State ended the game on a 10-4 run in its 67-55 victory over Iowa State Saturday afternoon in Manhattan, Kan. The Wildcats, led by Jacob Pullen's 17 points, improve to 22-9 on the season and 10-6 in Big 12 play.
Diante Garrett tallied 18 points and tied a career high with four steals, as the Cyclones fall to 16-15 overall and end their conference slate at 3-13. Iowa State will be the 12th seed at the Phillips 66 Big 12 Championship in Kansas City, Mo. The Cyclones will face No. 5 seed Colorado at 2 p.m. on Wednesday (March 9).
Iowa State briefly took a lead at 39-38 with 15:25 in the game and kept the game close throughout most of the second half. Down 55-51 with under four minutes left in the contest, the Cyclones had two chances to tie the game. However, Calvin Godfrey missed a one-and-one situation and Scott Christopherson misfired on a lay-up on back-to-back possessions. KSU took advantage by scoring the next seven points to mount a comfortable 62-51 lead with less than two minutes remaining.
"I was proud of how hard our guys played today," Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg said. "We had a couple of chances late, got a couple of stops, but they went on that run and we could not recover from it."
Iowa State fell down 9-0 from the outset, but battled back to a cut the KSU lead to 16-13 with just under 12 minutes left in the first half. Garrett scored 10 of Iowa State's first 16 points to keep the game close.
The Wildcats went into the half with a 33-29 advantage. KSU shot 50 percent from the field in the opening period, but the Cyclones forced 11 Wildcat turnovers to neutralize their hot shooting. Garrett finished the first half with 12 points.
Garrett was the only Cyclone in double figures. Jake Anderson had nine points and nine boards in the loss. Christopherson was just 1-of-12 from the field, but kept his consecutive game 3-point streak alive at 33 games in a row. Garrett played in his 127th game of his career, a new Iowa State record.
- Iowa State will be the 12th seed at the Big 12 Championship for the first time in school history, finishing the conference season at 3-13.
- Diante Garrett played in his 127th game of his career today, breaking the school record for games played in a career at Iowa State.
- Garrett started his 98th game of his career, tying for 11th with Jacy Holloway on Iowa State's career starts list.
- Garrett handed out five assists to give him 605 on the season, ranking second on Iowa State's single-season assist list.
- Garrett made two 3-pointers, giving him 97 in his career to rank 13th on ISU's career 3-pointers list.
- Garrett moves to No. 16 on ISU's season 3-pointers made list with 59 treys.
- Garrett tied a career high with four steals.
- Scott Christopherson made a 3-pointer in his school-record 33rd consecutive game with one trey today.