2011-12 Iowa State Men's Hoops Season In Review
- The 2011-12 campaign was a season to remember for Iowa State basketball...the Cyclones finished the year with a 23-11 overall mark and a 12-6 record in the rugged Big 12 Conference, tying for third place in the league.
- ISU was picked to finish eighth in the preseason Big 12 Coaches poll, and the Cyclones responded by securing their first NCAA Tournament berth since 2005.
- Led by four players who earned all-conference honors (Royce White, Scott Christopherson, Chris Allen and Melvin Ejim), the most since 2001, Iowa State recorded the third-most conference wins in school history (12), tied for the fourth-most overall wins in school history (23) and tied for the most conference home wins in school history (8).
- But most importantly, ISU was dancing again for the first time since 2005, earning the No. 8 seed in the South Region, their 14th NCAA appearance in school history...ISU defeated the defending national champion Connecticut, 77-64 in the 2nd round before losing to No. 1 seed and eventual national champion Kentucky, 87-71 in the 3rd round.
- Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg was named the Big 12's Co-Coach of the Year, leading the Cyclones to their first top-25 national ranking since 2005.
- Royce White was All-Big 12 First-Team and the Big 12's Newcomer of the Year, becoming just the fifth Cyclone in school history to earn First-Team All-Big 12 kudos.
Iowa State Team Quick Facts
- Iowa State, which finished 12-6 in Big 12 play, was the third team in school history to win 12 or more league games in a season: 2000 (14-2), 2001 (13-3), 2012 (12-6).
- The Cyclones won 20 games in the regular season for just the sixth time in school history and reached 20 wins by February for only the third time.
- Iowa State earned the No. 3 seed at the Big 12 Championship after being picked to finish eighth in the Big 12 preseason poll, the highest seed since 2001 (No. 1).
- ISU won its final seven home conference games, the longest streak since 2004...the active streak is tied for the fifth-best skein in school history.
- ISU tied the school record for most conference home wins with eight: 2000 (8-0), 2001 (8-0), 2012 (8-1).
- ISU's 23 wins ties for the fourth-most in school history: 32- 2000, 25- 2001, 24- 1996, 23- 1995, 23- 2012.
- Iowa State produced the largest turnaround in Big 12 history with a 9-win improvement from the previous season (3-13; 12-6) in conference play.
- ISU beat two top-10 teams (Kansas, Baylor) at home for the first time since 1992.
- ISU made the Associated Press' top-25 poll (No. 25) for the first time this year on March 5... it was the first time ISU had appeared in the AP top-25 since Nov. 15, 2005, ending a 130-week drought.
- Iowa State swept Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Texas Tech and Kansas State...it's the first time Iowa State swept four league teams in a season since 2001.
- Iowa State's four road league victories (Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Kansas State) is the most since 2005.
- Iowa State had four different players (Royce White- three times, Chris Babb, Tyrus McGee and Chris Allen) who won Big 12 Rookie of the Week honors...it marks the first time in league history where four different players from the same team won the RoW award in a season.
- Iowa State won both of its games (Providence, Rice) in South Padre Island, Texas at the South Padre Island Invitational...it was the first time Iowa State went undefeated in a regular-season tournament away from home since 2005-06 (Rainbow Classic, Honolulu, Hawaii).
- Iowa State's 24-point road wins vs. Texas A&M and Texas Tech both tied for the third-largest margin of victory vs. a league team on the road in school history.
- It marked just the second time in school history where ISU has defeated two conference opponents on the road by over 20 points in a season (1943-44 Big Six Champs).
Iowa State Team Trends
- In the Fred Hoiberg era, ISU has made 10 or more 3-pointers in a game 27 times.
- Iowa State has scored 80 points or more 20 times in the Fred Hoiberg era.
- Iowa State has shot 50 percent or better 17 times in the Fred Hoiberg era.
- 66.4 percent of ISU's scoring was from newcomers.
- Iowa State was fourth in the Big 12 and 51st nationally in scoring at 73.2 ppg...the Cyclones scored 80 or more points nine times.
- Iowa State scored 70 points or more in 12 of 18 Big 12 games, ranking fourth in the league in scoring in conference games at 71.4.
- Iowa State was 18-2 this season when scoring 70 points or more.
- Iowa State outrebounded 26 of 34 opponents during the year.
- ISU ranked first in the Big 12 and 11th nationally in 3-pointers per game (8.6)...ISU shot 37.3 pct. from 3-point range, ranking third in the Big 12 and 53rd nationally.
- 41.6 percent of ISU's field goal attempts were from beyond the arc.
- Iowa State set a single-season record for 3-pointers in a season with 293, breaking the old mark of 275 set last year.
- ISU led the Big 12 and ranked 29th nationally in 3-point FG defense (30.6).
- Iowa State shot 50 percent or better eight times, going 8-0 in those games.
- Iowa State was 18-1 when outshooting its opponent.
- ISU led at the half in 14 of 19 Big 12 games.
- Iowa State outrebounded 10 of its last 11 opponents by a +6.9 margin.
- Iowa State was 45-of-54 from the free-throw line (83.3 pct.) in its last three games.
- ISU ranked third in the Big 12 (1.2) and 47th nationally in assist/turnover ratio.
- Iowa State ranked fourth in the Big 12 and 63rd nationally in assists at 14.2 apg.
- Iowa State shot 208 more free-throws than its opponents at a +6.1 margin.
- Iowa State shot more free-throws than its opponents in 26 of 34 games.
- Iowa State ranked 36th nationally in fewest personal fouls (16.1).
Cyclones Well-Represented On Big 12 Postseason Awards
- The Iowa State men's basketball team snared a slew of Big 12 postseason awards.
- Head coach Fred Hoiberg was named the Big 12 Co-Coach of the Year after directing Iowa State to the largest turnaround in Big 12 history...Hoiberg was the first Cyclone coach to earn Big 12 Coach of the Year honors since Larry Eustachy (2001).
- Sophomore Royce White was named Big 12 Newcomer of the Year, First-Team All-Big 12 and was selected to the league's all-rookie squad...White is just the second Cyclone to earn Big 12 Newcomer of the Year honors (Jamaal Tinsley, 2000)...he joins Dedric Willoughby (1997), Marcus Fizer (2000), Jamaal Tinsley (2001) and Craig Brackins (2009) as the only Cyclones to earn All-Big 12 First-Team by the coaches.
- Senior Scott Christopherson was named Third-Team All-Big 12.
- Senior Chris Allen and sophomore Melvin Ejim were honorable mention picks.
- ISU had 4 players earn All-Big 12 honors (White, Christopherson, Ejim, Allen) for the first time since 2001 (Jamaal Tinsley, Kantrail Horton, Paul Shirley, Martin Rancik).
- The 2011-12 Cyclones ended some significant streaks during the season.
u- Iowa State ended a seven-game losing streak to Texas (77-71, Jan. 4) and an eight-game losing streak to Texas A&M (74-50, Jan. 7) in the first week of Big 12 play.
- Iowa State won its first Big 12 opener since 2007, ending a four-year skid with a 77-71 win over Texas on Jan. 4.
- Iowa State ended a 10-game road losing streak in the Texas A&M game (Jan. 7)...it also ended a 13-game losing skid to Big 12 Texas teams on the road.
- In its 76-52 win at Texas Tech (Jan. 21), ISU ended a five-game losing streak to the Red Raiders in Lubbock, recording its first win at TTU since March 1, 2000.
- In ISU's 72-64 win over No. 5 Kansas (Jan. 28), ISU ended a 13-game overall losing streak to the Jayhawks and a seven-game home losing skid to KU.
- It was ISU's first home victory over a ranked opponent since Feb. 5, 2006 (No. 25 Colorado, 96-79), ending a 12-game home losing streak to ranked teams.
- It was also ISU's first win over a top-five-ranked team at home since Jan. 14, 1995 (No. 3 Kansas, 69-65).
- In ISU's 72-70 win over Kansas State (Jan. 31), the Cyclones ended a five-game home losing streak to KSU...it was the first home win vs. KSU since Jan. 7, 2006.
- In ISU's 77-70 win over Oklahoma, the Cyclones ended a seven-game losing skid to OU in Norman, recording its first win at Oklahoma since Feb. 14, 1995.
- It also ended an 18-game losing streak to Oklahoma teams in Oklahoma.
- ISU posted an upper-half finish in the Big 12 for the first time since 2005.
u- ISU ended an 130-week streak of not being ranked by appearing in the March 5 AP Top-25 poll (No. 25)...It was the first time ISU was ranked since Nov. 15, 2005.
- ISU earned its first NCAA Tournament appearance since 2005.
- The 2011-12 Cyclones were one of the nation's biggest surprises this season.
- Picked to finish eighth in the preseason Big 12 Coaches poll, the Cyclones tied for third in the final Big 12 standings, tying for their third-best finish in Big 12 history.
- Many people felt ISU over achieved a year ago when it went 16-16 overall and 3-13 in the Big 12 in Fred Hoiberg's first season.
- ISU posted 22 wins in the regular-season (excluding conference and postseason tournaments), the third-best total in school history.
- ISU finished 12-6 in the Big 12, the third-best league win total in school history...only three teams in school history (2000- 14-2; 2001- 13-3; 2012- 12-6) won 12 or more games in conference play.
- ISU's nine-win conference record improvement is the largest turnaround in Big 12 history (3-13; 12-6).
- ISU's conference record improvement in terms of games was at +8, sharing the all-time Big 12 record with the 2000 Cyclones (6-10 to 14-2) and the 2005 Texas A&M Aggies (0-16 to 8-8).
- ISU's conference turnaround was the fourth-best in Division I this season: 1. Georgia Southern (1-17; 12-6), 2. Southern (3-15; 13-5) 3. Loyola-Marymount (2-12; 11-5) 4. Iowa State (3-13; 12-6).
The Cyclones Dig The Long Ball
- Iowa State, with its arsenal of efficient shooters dotting the lineup at all times, thrived by the deep shot during the 2011-12 season.
- Iowa State's four-headed 3-point monster (Scott Christopherson, Chris Allen, Chris Babb, Tyrus McGee) had a combined 821 3-pointers in their respective collegiate careers...Allen (217), Christopherson (204) and Babb (155) had a combined 576 3-pointers in Division I.
- Iowa State was one of four teams (Army, Purdue, Florida) in the nation with three players with 60 or more 3-pointers: Allen (76), Christopherson (67), Babb (64)...this year's squad is the only team in school history with four players with 50 or more 3-pointers: McGee (50).
- Four players made five or more treys in a game during the season: Chris Babb (7- Rice, 5- Western Carolina, 5- Texas); Chris Allen (6- Oklahoma State, 5- Texas A&M); Tyrus McGee (5- Oklahoma State, 6- Texas Tech); Scott Christopherson (5- Oklahoma, 5- Kansas St.).
- ISU made 10 or more treys 14 times this year and 27 times in the Hoiberg era.
- ISU was 12-2 when making 10 or more 3-pointers this season.
- In the Northern Colorado game, Iowa State broke the school record for 3-pointers made in a game with 16.
- ISU hit 15 treys at Oklahoma, the most 3-pointers ever made by a Cyclone team vs. a Big 12 opponent...it also ties for the second-best single-game output in school history.
- In the two-year Fred Hoiberg era, Iowa State has recorded five of the top-seven 3-point shooting games in school history.
- Iowa State averaged 8.6 3-pointers per game to lead the Big 12 and rank 11th nationally in 3-pointers per game.
- ISU connected at a 37.3 percent clip from downtown this year, ranking third in the Big 12 and 53rd nationally.
- In league games only, the Cyclones led the Big 12 in 3-pointers per game (9.1) and 3-point percentage (38.5 percent).
- ISU has made a 3-pointer in 161 consecutive games...the last time the Cyclones were shut out from beyond the arc was on Nov. 9, 2007 vs. Winston-Salem State.
- ISU's 293 3-pointers on the season set a new Cyclone single-season standard.
- The Cyclones led the Big 12 and ranked 13th nationally in 3-pointers made per game in 2010-11 (8.6 3fg).
Top Iowa State 3-Pointers Made Single-Season Totals
1. 293 2011-12*
2. 275 2010-11*
3. 236 2008-09
*Two-year Fred Hoiberg era
- Iowa State made incredible improvement in rebounding during the season...ISU had a -2.3 rebounding margin in head coach Fred Hoiberg's first season last year.
- The Cyclones outrebounded 26 of 34 opponents this year, owning a +4.6 rebounding margin to rank fourth in the Big 12 and 41st nationally.
- ISU outrebounded 13 of 16 teams its faced in road or neutral games.
- Kansas was one of the top rebounding teams in the country, but in two games vs. the Jayhawks, the Cyclones outrebounded KU by a +10.5 margin.
- Iowa State shot 208 more free-throws than its opponents at a +6.1 margin.
White Joins Elite Company With Triple-Double
- Royce White became the fourth Cyclone in school history to record a triple-double when he posted 10 pts., 18 reb. and 10 asst. in a 74-50 win at Texas A&M (1-7-12).
- It was the first-ever triple-double recorded by a Cyclone in a road game.
- White was among 13 players in NCAA Division I with a triple-double this season.
- It was the 12th triple-double in Big 12 history and the sixth triple-double recorded by a Big 12 player vs. Big 12 competition.
- The 40th anniversary of the opening of Hilton Coliseum was on Dec. 2, as the first game played in Hilton Coliseum was a 71-54 win over Arizona on Dec. 2, 1971...Iowa State radio color analyst Eric Heft was a sophomore with the Cyclones and played in the game.
- Hilton Coliseum has long been considered one of the toughest places to play in college basketball...built in 1971, ISU has recorded a 73.7 pct. winning mark (462-164).
- ISU has recorded four undefeated seasons at home since Hilton was erected (1985-86, 1992-93, 1999-00, 2000-01).
- ISU has been ranked in the top-30 nationally in attendance the last five seasons.
- The Cyclones were fourth in the Big 12 in attendance in 2010-11, averaging 12,110 fans per game.
- ISU ranked in the top-25 nationally and second in the Big 12 in attendance at 13,015, the second-best total since 1992-93.
- Iowa State had five sellouts (Iowa, Kansas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Baylor).
Iowa State Produces A League-High Four Players On Big 12 Academic Squad
- Iowa State had a conference-best four players on the 2012 men's basketball Academic All-Big teams...Scott Christopherson, Melvin Ejim and Bubu Palo were first team selections, while Chris Allen was named to the second team.
- It marked the first time since 1996-97 where Iowa State had three players on the Academic All-Big 12 First-Team.