Missouri Is ISU's Next Road Test
AMES, Iowa - Iowa State (12-5, 1-1) will travel to Missouri (14-3, 1-1) on Saturday. ISU has had recent success at the Mizzou Arena, winning two of the last three games in Columbia. Its only loss occurred last season, but the Tigers needed two overtimes to down the Cyclones, 81-75.
Iowa State (12-5, 1-1) at Missouri (14-3, 1-1)
When: Sat., Jan. 17, 2009 - 12:45 p.m.
Where: Columbia, Mo.; Mizzou Arena (15,061)
Live Stats: mutigers.com
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network: John Walters (pxp) and Eric Heft (color)
Television: Big 12 Network/ESPN Full Court: Mitch Holthus (pxp) and Rich Zvosec (color)
Local Affiliates: Ames/Des Moines (WOI), Cedar Rapids/Waterloo (KFXA-DT2), Quad Cities (WBQD-LP), Sioux City (KPTH-DT2), Ottumwa (KYOU), Mason City (KXLT-DT1)
|Complete Pre-Event Coverage|
- Iowa State (12-5, 1-1) will travel to Missouri (14-3, 1-1) on Saturday.
- ISU has had recent success at the Mizzou Arena, winning two of the last three games in Columbia...its only loss occurred last season, but the Tigers needed two overtimes to down the Cyclones, 81-75.
- An estimated total of 125 members of Cyclone Alley, ISU’s student spirit club, will make the five-hour drive to Columbia to cheer on the Cyclones.
- For the fourth consecutive season, ISU was victorious in its Big 12 home opener, downing Nebraska, 65-53 on Wednesday to end its 7-game losing streak to league foes.
- ISU held its fourth opponent in the last five games to below 60 points, improving its record to 25-0 in the Greg McDermott era when holding an opponent to below 60 points...the Cyclones are second in the Big 12 in scoring defense (60.5).
- ISU held NU to 34.5 percent from the floor, the 13th team this season ISU has held to 40 percent or below shooting from the field...the Cyclones currently rank second in the Big 12 in field goal percentage defense at 37.8 percent.
Last Time Out
- Iowa State won its Big 12 home opener for the fourth consecutive season with a 65-53 win against Nebraska on Wednesday.
- ISU held a 13-point lead with 15:09 left in the game, but the Huskers rallied to tie the game with just under seven minutes remaining.
- It was a two-point ISU advantage with 2:12 remaining (55-53) until the Cyclones rattled off 10 consecutive points to seal the win.
- Sophomore Craig Brackins continues to be ISU’s go-to player, registering his third consecutive double-double and third-straight 20-point game with 21 points and 12 boards.
- Brackins, who ranks second in the league in scoring (18.5 ppg), has tallied seven double-doubles in the last 12 games for the Cyclones...the big man also blocked three shots to tie for 18th on ISU’s career blocked shot chart (50) with Tyray Pearson.
- Lucca Staiger, the reigning Big 12 Rookie of the Week, added 18 points on 6-of-12 shooting from beyond the arc...Staiger’s bomb with 1:12 left in the game was the dagger, putting ISU up by seven points.
- Staiger, who is averaging 16.5 points in two Big 12 games, has knocked down a trey in 11-straight games and has had made two or more treys in his last seven contests...the sophomore needs two 3-pointers to crack ISU's single-season 3-pointers made chart...he currently has 45 treys on the season, ranking sixth in the league in 3-pointers made per game (2.6) and seventh in the league in 3-point percentage (43.3).
- Staiger's nine treys in two league games leads the conference.
- Diante Garrett handed out nine assists in the game, his highest total vs. a Big 12 opponent...Garrett currently ranks fourth in the league in assists (5.3 apg).
- Bryan Petersen increased his 3-pointers made in a game streak to 11...Petersen is now tied for 15th on ISU’s career 3-pointers made chart with 75 career bombs.
- ISU did commit a season-high 17 turnovers in the game, but made up for it by outrebounding the Huskers, 42-28...the Cyclones have outboarded both of their Big 12 opponents this season...ISU is 7-1 when outrebounding its opponent this year.
- ISU had more assists (18) than turnovers (17) for the 12th time this season...ISU ranks third in the Big 12 in assist/turnover ratio (1.3).
- ISU made 10-of-12 shots (83.3 percent) from the free-throw line vs. the Huskers...in its last five games, ISU has made 63-of-80 (78.8 percent) of its attempts from the charity stripe.
Cyclone-Tiger Quick Facts
- Missouri leads the all-time series against Iowa State at 141-84.
- MU leads the overall series in games played in Columbia at 81-21.
- ISU is 2-2 against Missouri in games played in Mizzou Arena...the Cyclones had won two-straight at the Mizzou Arena until falling last season in double overtime, 81-75...Diante Garrett tipped in his own miss shot with 0:01 seconds left in the first overtime to force the second extra session...Garrett finished the game with a then-career-high 20 points....ISU defeated Missouri in Hilton last season, 72-67 to split the series.
- Craig Brackins is averaging 13.5 points and 5.5 rebounds in two games against Missouri in his career.
- ISU head coach Greg McDermott is 2-2 against Missouri all-time and Mike Anderson-coached teams.
- MU freshman Marcus Denmon is the nephew of former ISU star Martinez Denmon...Martinez scored 872 points (16.8 ppg) in his two-year career at ISU (1972-73).
- Both McDermott and Anderson went to three-straight NCAA Tournaments (2004-06) at their previous head coaching stops; McDermott, Northern Iowa, Anderson, Alabama-Birmingham.
- In McDermott’s first Big 12 game of his ISU career, the Cyclones rallied from a 16-point second half deficit to down MU in Columbia, 66-65 on Jan. 6, 2006.
A Closer Look At Missouri (14-3, 1-1)
- Missouri (14-3, 1-1) won its first Big 12 game of the season with a 107-62 rout of Colorado on Wednesday...the Tigers had six players score in double figures in the win.
- The Tigers played without one of their stars on Wednesday...Leo Lyons missed the game because of a suspension...Lyons’ status is uncertain for Saturday...he is averaging 14.6 points and 6.6 rebounds.
- Senior DeMarre Carroll is one of the best forwards in the Big 12...Carroll leads the team in scoring (15.9), rebounding (6.9) and steals (1.9)...his 1.9 steal per game average ranks fourth in the Big 12.
- Sharpshooter Matt Lawrence is back for his senior season...Lawrence, who averages 9.6 ppg, has 202 career 3-pointers to rank fourth all-time in school history...Lawrence is making 42.1 percent of his shots (40-95 3FG) from beyond the arc this year.
- Junior guard J.T. Tiller is averaging 7.6 points and leads the team in assists (58)...he has 31 steals to rank sixth in the Big 12.
- Missouri leads the Big 12 in assists (19.8 apg) and steals (11.0 spg)...ISU ranks last in the league in steals per game (4.2).
- MU’s 84.6 ppg scoring average is second-best in the Big 12 behind Oklahoma St.
- MU is first in the Big 12 in assist/turnover ratio (1.6)...ISU is third (1.3).
Streaks and Trends
- Bryan Petersen has started every game the last two seasons (49-straight games).
- Craig Brackins has three-straight 20-point/10-rebound games, averaging 21.0 points and 13.7 rebounds in his last three games...Brackins has seven double-doubles in his last 12 games.
- Brackins has 50 career blocks to tie for 18th all-time in school history...he needs three swats to tie for 17th with Klay Edwards (1995-99).
- Lucca Staiger is averaging 3.5 3-pointers made per game in the last 11 games, averaging 12.1 points and shooting 38-of-82 (46.3 percent) from 3-point range.
- Staiger is averaging 16.5 points and 4.5 3-pointers made in his last two games (Big 12 games), leading the conference in 3-pointers made (9) in league games only.
- Staiger has hit a 3-pointer in 11-straight games and has made two or more treys in seven consecutive games.
- Staiger already is closing in on ISU’s single-season top-20 in 3-pointers made...he currently has 45 treys, needing two to tie for 18th on the school’s single-season list.
- Petersen has made a 3-pointer in 11-straight games.
- Petersen needs two 3-pointers to tie for 14th all-time on ISU’s career 3-pointers made list with Mike Taylor (2006-07)...Petersen has 75 career treys to tie for 15th.
- Since being inserted into the starting lineup for the last six games, Justin Hamilton is averaging 7.0 ppg, 6.5 rpg and shooting 62.1 percent from the field (18-29).
- Alex Thompson is shooting 71.4 percent from the field (15-21 FG) in his last eight games.
- ISU is 63-of-80 (78.8 percent) from the free-throw line in the last five games.
- ISU is 12-0 this season when shooting better than its opponent and 0-5 when getting outshot by its opponent.
- ISU is 9-0 this season when making more free-throws than its opponent.
- ISU has outrebounded eight opponents this season, going 7-1 in those games.
- ISU has outrebounded both of its Big 12 opponents, holding a +9.0 rebounding margin in league games to ranks second in the Big 12.
- ISU is 5-0 this season and 19-2 in the Greg McDermott era when scoring 70 points or more.
- ISU is 8-0 this season and 25-0 in the McDermott era when holding its opponent to under 60 points.
- ISU has held four of its last five opponents to below 60 points, giving up 57.6 ppg in that span.