AMES, Iowa - The fifth-seeded Iowa State women's basketball team makes its seventh consecutive appearance in the NCAA Tournament when it travels to Spokane, Wash. to face 12th-seeded Gonzaga Saturday afternoon at the McCarthey Athletic Center.
Who: No. 23/23 Iowa State (23-8, 12-6 Big 12) vs. Gonzaga (27-5, 15-1 WCC)
Where: Spokane, Wash. - McCarthey Athletic Center (6,000)
When: Saturday, March 23, 3:15 p.m. (CDT)
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
Talent: Rich Fellingham (PxP), Molly Parrott (Color)
Talent: Dave Flemming (PxP), Sean Farnham (Color)
Live Stats: Live stats will be available at cyclones.com
- Iowa State is making its 14th NCAA Tournament appearance in 18 seasons under the direction of Bill Fennelly. The fifth-seeded Cyclones, who finished second in the Big 12, face 12th-seeded Gonzaga with the winner advancing to face either Georgia or Montana.
- ISU lost to top-ranked Baylor in the finals of the Big 12 Championship. Anna Prins was named to the all-tournament team after averaging 22 points and shooting 60 percent from the field, including 7-11 from behind the arc.
- The Cyclones, who have won 20 games for the 12th time under head coach Bill Fennelly, are one of just 13 teams to advance to the NCAA Tournament in each of the last seven seasons. No Big 12 team has made more appearances (14) than Iowa State since 1997.
- Hallie Christofferson, a unanimous All-Big 12 first-team selection, continues to be one of the most consistent players in the nation. She is sixth in the Big 12 averaging 15.6 points per game and 12th in rebounding at 6.6 boards per game. The junior has scored in double digits in 26 of 31 games this season, including 11 games with 20+ points. She has shot 50 percent or better from the field in 20 games and is shooting 52.4 percent. In the last 10 games, Christofferson is averaging 18.3 points and 6.5 rebounds. She is 44-for-50 from the charity stripe during that stretch. She has made 24 consecutive free throws, including 8-for-8 vs. Kansas in the quarterfinals of the Big 12 tournament.
- Iowa State is first nationally in free-throw shooting at 80.2 percent, which is just ahead of the Big 12 record (Missouri, .790 in 2007). ISU’s top six players are shooting at least 75 percent from the line. The Cyclones, who are 56-for-62 (90.3) in the last four games, are 18-3 when making more free throws than their opponent and 12-3 when making at least 15 free throws.
- Chelsea Poppens, who earned All-Big 12 first-team honors, is just second player in school history and was the 14th in Big 12 history to record 1,000 points and 1,000 rebounds. She is the Big 12’s active leader with 451 career offensive rebounds. The senior is a major reason why the Cyclones have had as many or more rebounds than 25 of 31 opponents this season and rank 17th nationally in rebounding margin (+7.7).
- Nikki Moody leads the Big 12 and is third nationally dishing out 7.3 assists per game. She has posted double-digit assists in eight games this season, which is more than any other Big 12 player. The sophomore has recorded at least five assists in 25 of the 30 games she has played this season. She broke ISU’s single-season record with 220 and is just nine assists off the Big 12 sophomore mark held by OSU’s Tiffany Bias.
- Sophomore Brynn Williamson has taken on the defensive stopper role this season and is averaging 1.3 steals per game. Despite the increased defensive role, Williamson has hit 63 threes this season and is the 18th player in school history to make 100 career threes (111).
- Three Cyclones have reached the 1,000-point mark this season. Most recently, Christofferson needed 25 points against West Virginia to join the list. She scored 27. Chelsea Poppens and Anna Prins have also scored their 1,000th point this season.
- Led by Moody, ISU is 14th nationally averaging 16.6 assists per game. The Cyclones have dished out 516 assists this season, the most since 2006-07 and just the eighth time in school history with more than 500 dimes.
Iowa State Tournament Nuggets
- Iowa State is making its 14th NCAA Championship appearance, with all 14 berths coming in the last 18 seasons under head coach Bill Fennelly. The Cyclones are 16-13 all-time NCAA Championship games. ISU has made five trips to the Sweet 16 and has posted two Elite Eight berths in school history (1999, 2009).
- Iowa State is one of just 13 teams to make the NCAA Championship field in each of the last seven seasons.
- Since 1997, no Big 12 team has made it to the NCAA Championships more than the Cyclones (14 times).
- Iowa State is one of four schools nationally to have its football team play in a bowl game and its women’s basketball, men’s basketball and volleyball teams make the NCAA Tournament in each of the last two seasons.
- Twenty-four schools had teams make the NCAA men’s and women’s tournaments this season.
- ISU went to three consecutive NCAA Regional Semifinals in 1999, 2000 and 2001. The Cyclones went back to the Sweet 16 in 2009 for the first time since the 2001 season.
- Anna Prins has scored in double figures in all four of five tournament games she has played in. Prins averages 13.8 points per game in tournament play.
- The Cyclones hit 16 three-pointers in their 2009 NCAA first-round win over Eastern Tennessee State. That mark tied the NCAA Championship single-game record. South Dakota State also tied that mark on the same night, making it a three-way tie for the top spot. Iowa State hit 15 three-pointers against St. Francis in 2000, giving the Cyclones two of the top four single-game marks in NCAA Championship history.
- Iowa State played seven teams a total of 16 times in the NCAA field of 64 during the regular season. The Cyclones faced four teams that are seeded eighth or higher during the 2012-13 slate. ISU went 9-7 against teams in this season’s NCAA field. Hallie Christofferson averaged a team-high 16.2 points. Chelsea Poppens and Anna Prins each averaged 12 points against tournament qualifiers.
- Last season, Iowa State fell in the first round to Green Bay. The Cyclones have only lost in the first round four times in 13 appearances.
- Eight teams from the Big 12 earned a spot in postseason play, with seven making the NCAA field.
- In total, Iowa State played 20 of its 31 games against teams that advanced to the postseason (16 NCAA, 4 NIT).
Streaks and Trends
- Christofferson has scored 20+ points in six of the last 10 games. She has scored in double figures in nine of the last 10 games.
- Christofferson has scored in double figures in 26 of 31 games this season.
- Christofferson has made her last 24 free throw attempts.
- Poppens has scored in double figures in 12 of the last 14 games. She has double-digit rebounds in five of the last seven games.
- The Cyclones have shot as many or more free throws than 22 of their opponents.
- ISU is 18-2 when leading at the half. Since 2010-11, ISU is 49-5 when leading at the half.
- The Cyclones have been out rebounded just six times this season (Baylor (2x), Oklahoma State (2x), at Kansas, at Oklahoma). ISU is 20-2 when out rebounding opponents but 2-4 when being out rebounded.
- Iowa State is 19-0 when outshooting its opponent from the field.
- Moody has at least five assists in 25 of the 30 games she has played this season. She has 10 games with nine or more assists.
Williamson has hit a three in 24 of 31 games this season.
- The Cyclones have hit at least five threes in 45 of the last 49 games.
- Iowa State has hit a 3-pointer in 579 consecutive games. In that time (since Feb. 18, 1995), ISU has hit 4,465 threes. That is equal to 7.71 three-pointers per game for the last 18 years.
- ISU has had 10 consecutive winning seasons.
- The Cyclones have finished in the upper half of the Big 12 the last five seasons.
- The Cyclones have made the last seven NCAA Tournaments, one of just 13 teams nationally to do so.
- Iowa State has won 70-straight regular season nonconference games at Hilton Coliseum.
- Iowa State is the only Big 12 school to have a unanimous selection to the All-Big 12 first team in each of the last four seasons.
- Saturday’s meeting will be the first between the Cyclones and Bulldogs.
- The Cyclones are 10-4 all-time against teams from the West Coast Conference, including 1-0 this season. Loyola Marymount is the only common opponent for the Cyclones and Bulldogs. ISU defeated LMU 55-33 at the Junkanoo Jam. Gonzaga went 2-0 against the Lions, winning by 22 points and 14 points in the two meetings.
- Iowa State faced Gonzaga guard Taelor Karr when she was a member of the Kansas State program (2009-11). In five meetings against the Cyclones, Karr averaged 7.6 points and shot 31.2 percent from the field.
For more notes and information, follow us on twitter: @CycloneWBB, @ISUCoachFen, @Popp4AllAmerica
For complete information on the game, click the Notes link in the box at the top of the story.