Cyclones Meet Green Bay In First Round
NOTES | TICKET INFORMATION | FENNELLY INTERVIEW | PLAYER INTERVIEWS
AMES, Iowa - 10th-seeded Iowa State faces seventh-seeded Green Bay Saturday at approximately 5:30 p.m. at Hilton Coliseum in the first round of the NCAA Championships. The Cyclones and Phoenix will meet 30 minutes after the conclusion of the first game, which features second-seeded Kentucky and 15th-seeded McNeese State and starts at 3:20 p.m.
First Round Schedule
Saturday, March 17
Kentucky (25-6) vs. McNeese State (26-7), 3:20 p.m.
Iowa State (18-12) vs. Green Bay (30-1), 30 minutes after conclusion of game one
Where: Ames, Iowa - Hilton Coliseum (14,376)
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
Talent: Rich Fellingham (PxP), Molly Parrott (Color)
Talent: Clay Matvick (PxP), Krista Blunk (Color)
Live Stats: Live stats will be available at ncaasports.com
- Iowa State (18-12) advanced to its sixth-straight NCAA Tournament, earning a 10-seed in the Kingston Region. The Cyclones hosts seventh-seeded Green Bay (30-1) Saturday at 5:30 p.m. The winner of Saturday's second game will face the winner of two-seed Kentucky (25-6) and 15-seed McNeese State (26-7).
- The Cyclones are 10-2 at Hilton Coliseum in NCAA Championship play. Their last home loss in the NCAA Tournament came on March 18, 2002 to Brigham Young in the second round.
- The Cyclones were one of seven Big 12 schools selected to the Field of 64. No conference team has made more NCAA tournaments (13) than the Cyclones since 1997. ISU is one of 16 teams nationally to advance to the NCAA Tournament the last six years.
- The Cyclones last played nine days ago in the quarterfinals of the Big 12 Championship against Kansas State. The Cyclones fell to the Wildcats, 67-63, in Kansas City, Mo. despite a career-high 21 points from freshman guard Nikki Moody. Senior Lauren Mansfield also added 21 points for the Cyclones, who took two of three games from K-State this season.
- Chelsea Poppens was a unanimous selection to the All-Big 12 First Team while Moody was named to the Big 12's All-Freshman Team. Poppens joined Baylor's Brittney Griner and Odyssey Sims as the league's only unanimous picks.
- Poppens earned Big 12 Player of the Week honors three times this season. She is the first player in school history to receive three league player of the week honors in a season.
- In the last four games Moody is averaging a team-high 14.3 points per game. She is shooting 51.5 percent from the field and 36.8 (7-19) from behind the arc.
- In Iowa State's last four games the Cyclones are shooting 88.1 percent from the line.
- Iowa State has had three different Cyclones record 11 assists in a game this season. Nikki Moody vs. Oklahoma, Mansfield vs. Texas and Chassidy Cole vs. Kansas each had 11 dimes in Cyclone wins.
- Poppens needs just 12 points to become the 23rd member of Iowa State's 1,000-point club.
- Brynn Williamson has 45 threes this season, which is tied for fifth among Iowa State freshmen. She needs two more to tie Kelsey Bolte for fourth.
- Christofferson was second among Big 12 players in league play shooting 45 percent from behind the arc.
- Nikki Moody broke the freshmen assist record against OU and currently has 131 dimes this season. Moody finished with 11 assists, her first career 10-assist game, vs. the Sooners.
- Poppens has posted double-digit rebounds in 16 of the 29 games she has played in this season. The junior leads the Big 12 and is 12th nationally averaging 10.7 rebounds per game.
- Williamson is fifth in the Big 12 averaging 1.6 three-pointers made per game. As a team, Iowa State leads the league hitting 7.3 threes per contest.
- Poppens is the only Big 12 player averaging a double-double with 14.3 points and 10.7 rebounds.
- Moody is shooting 78.9 percent (30-38) on free throws over the final five minutes of the game this season.
- Poppens needs 20 rebounds to move into sixth place all-time at Iowa State. Janel Grimm (1995-98) is currently sixth with 813 career boards.
- Iowa State has an all-time record of 609-525 (.537), including 372-172 (.684) under the direction of Fennelly.
Streaks and Trends
- Iowa State has finished in the upper half of the Big 12 the last four seasons.
- The Cyclones have won seven home games in a row.
- The Cyclones have hit at least five threes in 15 straight games.
- Moody has scored in double figures in three straight games.
- Poppens has been in double figures in 11 of the last 14 games.
- Poppens has 14 double-doubles this season.
- Poppens has at least four offensive rebounds in 11 of the last 17 games.
- Prins has hit a three in seven-straight games.
- Brynn Williamson has made at least one 3-pointer in 24 of the 29 games she has played in this season. She has hit multiple threes in 16 games.
- Iowa State has outrebounded 21 of its 30 opponents this season. The Cyclones are 15-6 in those games.
- ISU has attempted as many or more free throws as 19 of its 30 opponents.
- The Cyclones have held all but 10 opponents under 40 percent shooting.
- Iowa State has hit a three-pointer in 547 consecutive games. In that time (since Feb. 18, 1995), ISU has hit 4,222 three-pointers. That is equal to 7.72 three-pointers per game for the last 17 years.
- This marks the 14th time in 17 seasons under head coach Bill Fennelly that Iowa State has lost two or fewer games during the nonconference portion of the schedule.
- Iowa State has won 65-straight regular season nonconference games at home.
- The Cyclones have had at least 20 wins in each of the last five seasons.
- Iowa State is the only Big 12 school to have a unanimous selection to the All-Big 12 first team in each of the last three seasons.
- Iowa State and Green Bay are meeting for the third time in series history, all of which have come in postseason play. The Cyclones hold a 2-0 edge in the series after defeating the Phoenix in the 2010 NCAA Tournament and in the 2006 WNIT.
- The two games were decided by an average of six points (79-71 in 2006; 60-56 in 2010).
- In the 2010 meeting between the schools, Green Bay led by eight points in the second half but the Cyclones rallied to advance to the Sweet 16. The Cyclones had three in double figures led by Kelsey Bolte's 15 points. Anna Prins had 13 points and Chelsea Poppens had a team-best eight rebounds.
- The Cyclones are 17-4 all-time against Horizon League teams.
- Iowa State head coach Bill Fennelly is 2-0 against Green Bay and 30-3 against Horizon League foes (10-0 at ISU).
Iowa State Tournament Nuggets
- Iowa State is making its 13th NCAA Championship appearance, with all 13 berths coming in the last 17 seasons under head coach Bill Fennelly. The Cyclones are 16-12 all-time NCAA Championship games. ISU has made five trips to the Sweet 16 and has posted two Elite Eight berths in school history (1999, 2009).
- Iowa State is one of just 16 teams to make the NCAA Championship field in each of the last six seasons.
- Since 1997, no Big 12 team has made it to the NCAA Championships more than the Cyclones (13 times).
- Iowa State is one of 11 schools nationally to have its football team play in a bowl game and its women's basketball, men's basketball and volleyball teams make the NCAA Tournament.
- Twenty-six schools had teams make the NCAA men's and women's tournaments this season.
- ISU went to three consecutive NCAA Regional Semifinals in 1999, 2000 and 2001. The Cyclones went back to the Sweet 16 in 2009 for the first time since the 2001 season.
- Anna Prins has scored in double figures in all four tournament games she has played in. Prins averages 17.3 points per game in tournament play.
- The Cyclones hit 16 three-pointers in their 2009 NCAA first-round win over Eastern Tennessee State. That mark tied the NCAA Championship single-game record. South Dakota State also tied that mark on the same night, making it a three-way tie for the top spot. Iowa State hit 15 three-pointers against St. Francis in 2000, giving the Cyclones two of the top four single-game marks in NCAA Championship history.
- Iowa State played nine teams a total of 16 times in the NCAA field of 64 during the regular season. The Cyclones faced five teams that are seeded eighth or higher during the 2011-12 slate. ISU is 6-10 against teams in this season's NCAA field. Chelsea Poppens averaged a team-high 13.0 points and 8.9 rebounds in the 16 games against NCAA Tournament qualifiers.
- Last season, Iowa State fell in the first round to Marist. It was the first time the Cyclones had seen an opening round exit since 2005. The Cyclones have only lost in the first round three times in 12 appearances.
- Nine teams from the Big 12 earned a spot in postseason play, with seven making the NCAA field.
- In total, Iowa State played 24 of its 30 games against teams that advanced to the postseason (16 NCAA, 6 NIT, 2 WBI).
For more news and notes on Iowa State women's basketball follow us on twitter (@CycloneWBB).
Tickets for first and second round games are on sale now. For more information, click here.