Cyclones Set For Big 12 Championship
AMES, Iowa - The Iowa State women's basketball team heads to Dallas, Texas for the Big 12 Championship. The second-seeded Cyclones will face either seven-seed Kansas or 10th-seeded TCU Saturday at 6 p.m. at American Airlines Center. The game will be televised by FSN.
Who: No. RV/22 Iowa State (21-7, 12-6 Big 12) vs. Kansas or TCU
Where: Dallas, Texas - American Airlines Center (10,279)
When: Saturday, March 9, 6 p.m. (CST)
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
Talent: Rich Fellingham (PxP), Molly Parrott (Color)
Talent: Ron Thulin (PxP), Brenda VanLengen (Color)
Live Stats: Live stats will be available at Big12sports.com.
Live Blog: Matt Shoultz, assistant director of athletics communications, will be holding a live blog during the game at cyclones.com. Fans are encouraged to participate in the blog by asking questions.
- Iowa State, which is ranked No. 22 in the USA Today Coaches poll, is the No. 2 seed in the 2013 Big 12 Championships and will face the winner of TCU and Kansas Saturday at 6 p.m. at American Airlines Center. This is the fourth time Iowa State has earned the No. 2 seed in the Big 12 Championships (1998, 1999, 2010, 2013). The Cyclones were picked to finish sixth in the Big 12 preseason poll.
- The Cyclones, who have won 20 games for the 12th time under head coach Bill Fennelly, came back from a 13 point second-half deficit to defeat Oklahoma State, 73-70, on Monday.
- Hallie Christofferson continues to be one of the most consistent players in the nation. She is fourth in the Big 12 averaging 16.0 points per game and 10th in rebounding at 6.8 boards per game. The junior has scored in double digits in 24 of 28 games this season, including seven games in a row and 10 games with 20+ points. She has shot 50 percent or better from the field in 19 games and is shooting 53.5 percent. In the last seven games, Christofferson is averaging 20.7 points and 7.0 rebounds and shooting 52.6 percent from the field. She is also 33-for-39 from the charity stripe during that stretch.
- Iowa State continues to lead the Big 12 in free-throw shooting and rank third nationally at 79.5 percent as a team, which is just ahead of the Big 12 record (Missouri, .790 in 2007). ISU’s top six players are shooting at least 75 percent from the line. The Cyclones are 16-3 when making more free throws than their opponent and 10-3 when making at least 15 free throws.
- Chelsea Poppens is just second player in school history and was the 14th in Big 12 history to record 1,000 points and 1,000 rebounds. She is the Big 12’s active leader with 438 career offensive rebounds. The senior is a major reason why the Cyclones have had as many or more rebounds than 23 of 28 opponents this season and ranks 16th nationally in rebounding margin (+8.2).
- Nikki Moody leads the Big 12 and is third nationally dishing out 7.4 assists per game. She has posted double-digit assists in seven games this season, which is more than any other Big 12 player. The sophomore has recorded at least five assists in 23 of the 27 games she has played this season. Her 201 assists ranks fourth on ISU’s single-season list and she is just 28 assists off the Big 12 sophomore mark held by OSU’s Tiffany Bias.
- Sophomore Brynn Williamson has taken on the defensive stopper role this season and is averaging 1.3 steals per game. Despite the increased defensive role, Williamson has hit 61 threes this season and is the 18th player in school history to make 100 career threes (109). In the last four games, she is averaging 3.5 three-pointers per game.
- Three Cyclones have reached the 1,000-point mark this season. Most recently, Christofferson needed 25 points against West Virginia to join the list. She scored 27. Chelsea Poppens and Anna Prins have also scored their 1,000th point this season.
- Iowa State is holding opponents to just 35.7 percent shooting this season, which is second in the Big 12 and 32nd nationally. The school record entering this season was 35.7 percent, set during the 2009-10 season. Opponents are averaging 55.9 points per game.
Streaks and Trends
- Christofferson has scored 20+ points in five of the last seven games. She has scored in double figures in seven games in a row.
- Christofferson has scored in double figures in 24 of 28 games this season.
- Christofferson has made her last 13 free throw attempts.
- Poppens has scored in double figures in 10 of the last 11 games. She has double-digit rebounds in three of the last four games.
- The Cyclones have shot as many or more free throws than 10 of their last 11 opponents.
- ISU is 16-2 when leading at the half. Since 2010-11, ISU is 47-5 when leading at the half.
- The Cyclones have been out rebounded just five times this season (at Baylor, at Oklahoma State (2x), at Kansas, at Oklahoma). ISU is 18-2 when out rebounding opponents but 2-3 when being out rebounded.
- Iowa State is 17-0 when outshooting its opponent from the field.
- Moody has at least five assists in 23 of the 27 games she has played this season. She has nine games with nine or more assists.
- Moody has connected on a 3-pointer in 10 of the last 11 games.
- Williamson has hit a three in 23 of 28 games this season.
- The Cyclones have hit at least five threes in 42 of the last 46 games.
- Iowa State has hit a 3-pointer in 576 consecutive games. In that time (since Feb. 18, 1995), ISU has hit 4,443 threes. That is equal to 7.71 three-pointers per game for the last 18 years.
- ISU has had 10 consecutive winning seasons.
- The Cyclones have finished in the upper half of the Big 12 the last five seasons.
- The Cyclones have made the last six NCAA Tournaments, one of just 16 teams nationally to do so.
- Iowa State has won 70-straight regular season nonconference games at Hilton Coliseum.
- Iowa State is the only Big 12 school to have a unanimous selection to the All-Big 12 first team in each of the last three seasons.
ISU/KU Series Notes (career stats vs. KU available on pg. 19 of notes packet)
- Kansas holds a 45-29 edge in the all-time series, including 4-2 in neutral site games. ISU is 2-5 against the Jayhawks in conference tournament games. - The last time the teams met in a conference tournament was in 2003 in Dallas, with KU winning 63-60.
- In the season’s first two games, Christofferson averaged 19 points and shot 68.2 percent from the field. ISU had five players average in double figures against the Jayhawks this season, with Prins (17.5) and Poppens (17.0) also over 17 points. Poppens also grabbed 11.5 boards per game against KU. Angel Goodrich averaged 22.5 points for KU against the Cyclones.
- In six career games vs. KU, Christofferson averages 13.8 points and shoots 70.2 percent from the field.
- Bill Fennelly is 22-18 against Kansas.
ISU/TCU Series Notes (career stats vs. TCU available on pg. 20 of notes packet)
- Iowa State is 3-1 all-time against TCU with the teams splitting the games this season. The Cyclones are 1-0 against the Horned Frogs in neutral site games.
- The Cyclones shot just 33.9 percent from the field and 26.9 percent from behind the arc in two meetings with TCU. Poppens averaged 16.5 points and Williamson hit eight threes and averaged 14 points in the two meetings. ISU had a +13.5 rebounding margin in the games. Zahna Medley scored 14.5 points per game against the Cyclones this season.
- Bill Fennelly is 2-1 all-time against TCU.
For more notes and information, follow us on twitter: @CycloneWBB, @ISUCoachFen, @Popp4AllAmerica
For complete information on the game, click the Notes link in the box at the top of the story.