Cyclones To Play Texas Saturday
AMES, Iowa - No. 9 Iowa State (14-2, 2-2) travels to Texas (13-4, 2-2) for a Saturday Big 12 Conference showdown at the Frank Erwin Center. The game will be televised on the Big 12 Network.
Where: Austin, Texas - Frank Erwin Center (16,540)
When: Saturday, Jan. 18, 3 p.m. CST
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
Talent: John Walters (PxP), Eric Heft (Color)
TV: Big 12 Network
Talent: Brad Sham (PxP), Reid Gettys (Color)
Live Stats: Live stats will be available at cyclones.com.
Live Blog: Matt Shoultz, assistant director of athletics communications, will be holding a live blog during the game at Cyclones.com. Fans are encouraged to participate in the blog by asking questions.
- ISU (14-2, 2-2) hits the road to face Texas (13-4, 2-2) in a key Big 12 Conference road game Saturday afternoon. The Cyclones haven’t lost three-straight games since 2010-11, Fred Hoiberg’s first season as head coach.
- The Cyclones are ranked No. 8 in The Associated Press poll and No. 10 in the USA Today Poll.
- Iowa State is one of just six schools nationally with three players averaging at least 15 ppg. The Cyclones have had five different players tally 20+ points in a game this season.
- The Cyclones are the only team in the Big 12 with two players ranked in the top-11 of the league in both scoring and rebounding. Melvin Ejim is second in scoring and 11th in rebounding, while DeAndre Kane is sixth in scoring and ninth in rebounding.
- Kane has been a major addition to the Cyclones this season. In Big 12 games, Kane is leading the league in points (22.3), assists (5.5) and steals (3.5). Kane has scored 20+ in each of the last three games. The senior is shooting 52.6 percent from the field and has made nine of his last 17 three-point attempts.
- Ejim continues to lead the Cyclones in scoring at 17.8 points per game. Ejim, who is shooting 50.6 percent from the field, has been in double figures in all 14 games since his return (18 straight games overall dating back to last season), including six games with 20+ points. The senior has posted double-doubles in four games.
- Georges Niang is 11th in the Big 12 in scoring at 15.1 points per game. Niang has scored in double-figures in 13 games this season and 36 times in his career. Niang’s ability to orchestrate offense for others as well may be his biggest strength. The sophomore is the only non-guard ranked among the Big 12’s top-10 in assists (3.5).
- Dustin Hogue is Iowa State’s fourth starter averaging double figures this season. Hogue scores 12.4 points per game and grabs a team-high 9.3 rebounds per game, which is second in the Big 12. Hogue has six games with double-digit rebounds this season.
- Iowa State is second in the Big 12 in scoring at 85.6 points per game. The Cyclones share and protect the ball as well as anyone in the country, dishing out 18.4 assists (1st in Big 12, 2nd in nation) and posting a 1.9 assist/turnover ratio (1st nationally).
Series Notes vs. Texas
- Texas leads the all-time series vs. Iowa State at 16-10.
- UT leads the series in games played in Austin, 10-1.
- The Cyclones have lost five-straight games to Texas in Austin. ISU’s lone win at the Erwin Center was on Feb. 5, 2005 (92-80 ot).
- Iowa State and Texas split last season, with UT winning in Austin in double overtime (89-86).
- Melvin Ejim averages 9.8 points and 8.7 rebounds in six career games vs. UT.
- Hoiberg is 2-4 against Texas in his coaching career.
Follow Iowa State men's basketball on Facebook at Twitter (@CycloneMBB).