Kelly Ward was a three-time NCAA finalist at 158 pounds (1977-79), winning the NCAA title in 1979. In Ward's final three seasons, the Cyclones finished first, second and second at the NCAA Championships. A native of Annapolis, Md., Ward compiled a 126-10-1 record, won two Big Eight crowns and was named Most Outstanding Wrestler at the 1979 Big Eight Championships.
- Three-time NCAA finalist at 158 pounds (1977, 1978, 1979).
- One of 11 three- or four-time NCAA finalists in Iowa State wrestling history.
- 1979 NCAA champion at 158 pounds, defeating Minnesota's Dan Zilverberg, 7-2 in the title match.
- Two-time Big Eight champion at 158 pounds (1978 & 1979).
- Named Most Outstanding Wrestler at the 1979 Big Eight Championship.
- Compiled a career mark of 126-10-1 for a 92.3 winning percentage.
- Helped Iowa State win the 1977 NCAA team crown.
- The Cyclones finished second nationally in Ward's final two seasons (1978 & 1979).