No. 9 Iowa State Travels To Oklahoma
AMES, Iowa - No. 9 Iowa State (14-0, 2-0) hits the road for a Big 12 showdown with Oklahoma (12-3, 1-1) Saturday at 11 a.m. at the Lloyd Noble Center. The game will be televised by ESPNU.
Where: Norman, Okla. - Lloyd Noble Center (12,000)
When: Saturday, Jan. 11, 11 a.m. CST
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
Talent: John Walters (PxP), Eric Heft (Color)
Talent: Anish Shroff (PxP), Tim Welsh (Color)
Live Stats: Live stats will be available at cyclones.com.
Live Blog: Matt Shoultz, assistant director of athletics communications, will be holding a live blog during the game at Cyclones.com. Fans are encouraged to participate in the blog by asking questions.
- ISU (14-0, 2-0) is one of just five unbeaten teams remaining in the nation. The Cyclones are looking to improve to 3-0 in Big 12 play for just the second time in school history (1999-00, 4-0).
- Iowa State’s 14-game winning streak is the longest in school history.
- ISU became just the seventh school (12 times) in Big 12 history to enter conference play undefeated. It is the first time for the program since 1956-57 that it has went unbeaten in nonconference action.
- The Cyclones are ranked No. 9 in The Associated Press poll and No. 7 in the USA Today Coaches Poll.
- Iowa State ranks among the NCAA’s top-10 in five statistical categories: First in assist/turnover ratio (1.96), first in assists (19.1), ninth in scoring (87.0), third in defensive rebounding (31.1), ninth in scoring margin (19.8) and 10th in turnovers per game (9.6).
- Iowa State is one of just seven schools nationally with three players averaging at least 15 ppg. The Cyclones have had five different players tally 20+ points in a game this season.
- DeAndre Kane has been a major addition to the Cyclones this season, especially in the last six games where he is averaging 18.7 points, 6.8 rebounds and 7.0 assists, while shooting 57.4 percent from the field and 47.1 percent from 3-point range. On Tuesday vs. Baylor, Kane had one of the best Cyclone performances in recent memory, finishing with 30 pts, eight boards, nine assists and five steals. He has earned back-to-back Big 12 Player of the Week awards and is leading the Big 12 averaging 6.1 assists per game.
- Melvin Ejim is leading the Cyclones averaging 17.8 points per game to go along with 7.2 boards. Ejim, who is shooting 52.1 percent from the field, has been in double figures in all 12 games since his return, including five games with 20+ points. The senior has posted double-doubles in four games.
- Georges Niang has been one of the nation’s hottest players since the UNI game, averaging 18.3 points and shooting the ball at an impressive clip (52.0 FG/40 3FG/82.4 FT).
- Dustin Hogue has been one of the biggest surprises for the Cyclones this year, giving ISU a tenacious rebounder (9.6 rpg, leads Big 12) and efficient offensive player (12.3 ppg, 57.7 FG%).
Iowa State Team Trends
- In the Fred Hoiberg era, the Cyclones have made 10 or more 3-pointers in a game 53 times. They have hit 10 or more in six games this season.
- Iowa State has at least 16 assists in 12 of 14 games this season.
- Iowa State is 16-1 under Hoiberg when scoring 90+ points, including 6-0 this season.
- Iowa State has had at least four players in double figures in 13 of 14 games this season.
- The Cyclones have shot at least 50 percent from the field in seven of 14 games.
- Iowa State has shot better than its opponents from the field in 12 of 14 games.
- Melvin Ejim has scored in double figures in 15 games in a row, a career-best streak.
- Naz Long has hit a three-pointer in 11 of 14 games this season.
- Kane has made seven of his last 11 3-point attempts.
- Iowa State has scored 50 or more points in a half seven times this season.
- The Cyclones are averaging 17.5 made free throws per game, while their opponents are attempting just 15.8 free throws.
- ISU is averaging 18.1 assists and 8.5 turnovers in the last eight contests.
- Monté Morris has just three turnovers in his last 215 minutes of play.
- Morris has made his last 10 free throw attempts.
Series Notes vs. Oklahoma
- Oklahoma holds a 111-81 edge as the teams get set for the 193rd meeting in the series.
- ISU is averaging 10 three-pointers per game against Oklahoma during the six meetings in the Hoiberg era.
- The Cyclones won two of the three meetings last season, with both teams winning on their home floors and ISU earning a 73-66 win at the Big 12 Championship.
- Fred Hoiberg is 4-2 against OU as a coach. OU coach Lon Kruger is 8-6 all-time vs. ISU as a head coach (7-1 at Kansas State, 0-1 at Florida, 1-4 at Oklahoma).
- Hoiberg was 4-5 vs. OU in his playing career with the Cyclones (1992-95). He averaged 14.3 points and 5.8 rebounds vs. the Sooners and tallied 30 points at OU on Feb. 1, 1995 (OU, 79-78).
- In Hoiberg’s senior season at Iowa State, the Cyclones defeated Kruger’s Florida squad, 64-61 in the first round of the 1995 NCAA Tournament. Hoiberg had 15 points in the game.
Follow Iowa State men's basketball on Facebook and Twitter (@CycloneMBB).