Meet the Coaches
Jill Petersen, Head Coach
Sarah Stevens, Assistant Coach
Dance Team Tryouts - April 27-28, 2013 - Forker Gymnasium 198. Please review the Dance Team Tryout Packet for more information and forms to be filled out for the 2013-2014 season tryouts. Click here for the Athletic Examination Form.
Dance Team FAQ
- How often do you practice and for how long?
The team will practice 3 hours a night 3 times a week.
- What are the expectations for being on this team?
- These are all required, not optional:
- Attendance at all practices
- Workout program outside of practice time
- Attendance at all football and basketball games
- Attendance at break games
- Attendance at Big 12 tournament games
- Attendance at NIT and/or NCAA tournament games
- Attendance at assigned or requested appearances
- Participation at all competitive events
- How many girls are on the team?
The team consists of 16-20 dancers
- Are practices mandatory?
All practices are mandatory. Being on this team is a full commitment.
- Where do you perform at?
We perform at all home football and men’s and women’s basketball games. We cheer/dance for these games the entire time. We also perform at halftime during selected games during basketball season.
- Do you compete? If so, where?
Yes, we compete at NDA Collegiate Summer Camp, NCA/NDA College Nationals in April, and the Iowa State Drill Team Competition in December.
- Do you accept video tryouts?
We would prefer to see all potential team members in person but if the tryout dates conflict with prior commitments, we do allow a video tape tryout. You will need to contact the coach, Jill Petersen, at firstname.lastname@example.org for all the necessary elements to be included in the video as well a deadline to submit it. Please be aware that higher expectations will be placed on those that send in a video tryout.
- What do I need to wear to tryouts?
We ask that everyone bring their own dance shoes to dance in and comfortable dance attire. We strongly suggest a sports bra/top and dance pants. We also expect everyone to look game-day ready.(make-up, hair done nicely, etc.)
- What elements are required at tryouts?
Everyone will be taught a dance consisting of the following elements of dance: pom, jazz, and funk. Technical skills must be performed and will either be done in a choreographed sequence or individually.
Technical elements required:
- Fouette sequence consisting of 4+ turns and a double pirouette
- Toe Touch
- Turning Disc
- Switch Leap-right and left
- Center Leap
- Straight Leap-right and left
- Triple or Quad Pirouette
- Splits and/or Stretches
- Are incoming freshmen allowed to tryout?
Yes, incoming freshmen are allowed to tryout.
- Do I get to travel to away games?
There are certain road games that the Dance Team is allowed to travel to. The members allowed to go on these trips are decided by the coaching staff.
- What do I need to bring to tryouts?
You will need to bring you insurance information and a recent physical. All the necessary forms are found below, but will also be available the day of tryouts. If you do not show proof of insurance and a current physical, you will not be allowed to tryout.
- Are there summer commitments?
Yes, there are summer commitments that will consist of special appearances, mandatory summer camp, and workshops that run one time each month.
- How much does it cost to be on the team?
The cost to be on the team can run around $500-$600. Most costs will be due soon after tryouts.
- Are there scholarships available?
We do not have scholarships available to squad members, however we do have stipends that are given to the students who fulfill their commitment to the team after their second year on the squad.
- What does Iowa State University require academically in order to be a part of the team?
Complete at least 12 credits each semester and maintain a cumulative grade-point average of 2.00 or above.
- Are you a competitive or performance-based team?
We are both. We perform at all games, but we also compete on the state level and national level.