Iowa - The Iowa State wrestling team (2-3 overall, 0-1 Big 12) will look to
continue their winning ways on Sunday when they take on Penn and Drexel. The
Cyclones are hoping to keep the momentum rolling after a 19-15 victory over
Rutgers on Friday.
looking for a better performance all-around from the team," head coach Kevin
Jackson said, "With every weight, I want us to start each match stronger. We
continue to put ourselves in a hole early, and we have to dig ourselves out.
I'm looking for our lightweights to really show what they're capable of."
Cyclones will face Drexel at 9 a.m. (CST) and then travel across town to face Penn at
• Iowa State's stretch of five straight road
duals will continue on Sunday as they take on Drexel at 9 a.m. at the
Daskalakis Athletic Center. The Cyclones' will then travel to The Palestra to
wrestle Penn at noon.
• The Cyclones won five matches against the Scarlet
Knights, highlighted by Tanner Weatherman's 9-7 victory over Greg Zannetti.
Zannetti, a redshirt senior, is ranked No. 13 nationally by InterMat at 174
pounds and was an NCAA qualifier last season.
• Redshirt sophomore Luke Goettl picked up his first pin of the season against the Scarlet Knight's No. 18 Trevor Melde at 141 pounds.
• At 165 pounds, Mike Moreno is the first Cyclone to hit the 15-win mark on the season, with an 11-6 win over Nick Visicaro of Rutgers.
• Iowa State is 1017-288-21 all-time in duals, dating back to 1916.
• The Dragons are 5-5 in dual competition thus far in the 2012-13 season.
Drexel owns dual victories over Hofstra (22-16) and VMI (24-14).
• Drexel holds a 2-0 record in the Colonial Athletic Association with wins over
Hofstra (22-16) and George Mason (24-19).
• At 141 pounds there will be a hotly contested matchup between Goettl and
Drexel's Frank Cimato. Cimato was named the Co-CAA Wrestler of the Month for
December, a month during which he knocked off Hofstra's Luke Vaith. Vaith was
ranked No. 10 nationally at the time.
• The No. 20 Quakers are 4-1 in dual competition thus far in the 2012-13
season. Penn has victories over Arizona State (27-10), Stanford (27-6) and No.
21 Lehigh (24-12).
• Penn's lone loss on the season was to Iowa State's upcoming foe, Oklahoma
State. The No. 3 Cowboys defeated Penn, 35-10.
• At 141, Iowa State's Luke Goettl will once again be tested by No. 12 CJ Cobb
of Penn, who is currently 13-5 on the season.
197, a showdown between Penn's No. 7 Micah Burak and the Cyclones' No. 11 Kyven
Gadson will be the featured match of the dual. Gadson (13-2 overall, 5-0 Dual)
will look to continue to prove he belongs with the nation's elite when he faces
Burak, a 2012 All-American.
Who: Iowa State (2-3 overall, 0-1 Big 12)
vs. Drexel (5-5 overall, 2-0 CAA) & Penn (4-1 overall, 1-0 EIWA)
Where: Philadelphia, Pa. - Daskalakis
Athletic Center / The Palestra
When: Sunday, Jan. 13, 2013 9 a.m. (CST) /
12 a.m. (CST)
stats: Live stats
will be available at www.trackwrestling.com
blog: Join in on
a virtual press row for Sunday's duals with an interactive live blog put on by
members of the Iowa State athletics communications department. Fans are
encouraged to participate by asking questions on the blog which will begin at
8:30 a.m. (CST) on Sunday.
Twitter: Be sure to
follow "CycloneWR" on Twitter for final results after each match.