AMES, Iowa - The No. 23/20 Iowa State women's basketball team officially opens the season against North Dakota on Sunday, Nov. 10 at 5 p.m. at Hilton Coliseum.
Who: Iowa State vs. North Dakota
Where: Ames, Iowa - Hilton Coliseum (14,384)
When: Sunday, Nov. 10, 5 p.m.
Projected Starting Lineup: Hallie Christofferson, Brynn Williamson, Nikki Moody, Jadda Buckley and Seanna Johnson
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
Talent: Rich Fellingham (PxP), Molly Parrott (Color)
Cyclones.tv Powered By Mediacom | Channel Info
Live Stats: Live stats will be available at cyclones.com.
Live Blog: Patrick Tarbox, assistant director of athletics communications, will be holding a live blog during the game at cyclones.com. Fans are encouraged to participate in the blog by asking questions.
Promotions: Receive a complimentary GA women's basketball ticket when you purchase a regular-priced men's basketball ticket to their game against UNC Wilmington at noon.
- Iowa State extended its streak to 30-consecutive exhibition game wins with a pair of wins over Wayne State and Carthage.
- Iowa State officially opens the 41st season in the history of the program against North Dakota in the season opener for both squads. Iowa State is 32-8 all-time in season openers and 18-0 under the direction of Bill Fennelly.
- Iowa State holds an all-time record of 633-535 (.542). The Cyclones have had 10-straight winning seasons. Head Coach Bill Fennelly is in his 19th season at Iowa State, boasting a record of 396-182 (.685). This marks his 26th season overall as a head coach (562-235).
- The Cyclones debuted at No. 20 in the USA Today Coaches Preseason Poll. The Cyclones were one of four Big 12 teams in the preseason rankings joining No. 10 Baylor, No. 14 Oklahoma and No. 24 Oklahoma State. ISU was also ranked 23rd in the AP Poll. ESPNW’s Preseason Power Rankings also place the Cyclones at 20th nationally.
- Iowa State returns senior forward Hallie Christofferson who led ISU in scoring with15.6 points per game and grabbed 6.7 rebounds per game. ISU also returns its top assister in Nikki Moody (7.4 apg) and its top three-point shooter in Brynn Williamson (68 three’s).
- Hallie Christofferson was named to the Preseason All-Big 12 First-Team for the 2013-14 season after a breakout season that earned her honorable mention All-America honors by the AP and WBCA, while also being named a unanimous selection to the All-Big 12 first team last season. She was also named to the Wooden Award Preseason Top 30.
- EspnW has listed Hallie Christofferson as one of the top-five small forwards in the country and Nikki Moody received at least one vote as one of the top-five point guards nationally.
Iowa State finished second in the Big 12 in scoring defense, holding opponents to an average of 57.6 points. The Cyclones also dominated on the glass, outrebounding opponents by 7.9 boards per game and ranking third in the Big 12.
- The Cyclones return three players that hit at least 40 three-pointers last season: Brynn Williamson (68), Hallie Christofferson (55) and Kidd Blaskowski (48).
- Iowa State has won 70-straight regular season nonconference games at Hilton Coliseum. The streak dates back to the 2003-04 season (Last loss: Washington (12/21/03)).
Iowa State Team Quick Facts
- Iowa State has 12 players on its roster from five different states (Iowa, Texas, Missouri , Minnesota and Arizona).
- Iowa State returns three starters from last season in Christofferson, Moody and Williamson. In all, Iowa State returns 61 percent of its scoring and 58 percent of its rebounding.
- Iowa State was picked to finish sixth in the Big 12 for the second-consecutive year. Last season the Cyclones were also picked sixth but advanced to the Big 12 Championship Final, finishing second in the league.
North Dakota Series Notes
- Iowa State is 2-0 against North Dakota and 11-4 all-time against members of the Big Sky conference.
- In their last meeting on Nov. 18, 2012, the Cyclones handed UND a 39-point loss (73-34) it was Brynn Williamson who stepped up for the Cyclones going 5-of-5 from beyond the arc, grabbing seven boards and dishing out five assists.
- North Dakota and Iowa State first met on Dec. 30, 2008 as a part of the Cyclone Challenge and the Cyclones topped North Dakota 76-46 with Heather Ezell leading ISU with 15 points.
Scouting North Dakota
- The University of North Dakota is one of the tallest teams the Cyclones will face this season with their projected starting lineup holding a nine inch overall advantage over Iowa State’s. The projected lineup features three forwards, a center and a guard.
- North Dakota returns two of their top-three scorers with seniors Madi Buck (10.7 ppg) and Megan Lauck (9.9 ppg). The senior duo are both averaging a double-double after the first two exhibition games with Buck averaging 14 points and 11.5 rebounds and Lauck averaging 18 points and 11.5 boards.
- North Dakota finished last season with an 11-18 record and a 6-14 record in Big Sky play in head coach Travis Brewster’s first season.
- North Dakota has a few Iowa ties as freshman Madison Kramer hails from Cedar Rapids, Iowa and played for Washington High school where she averaged 6.9 points and 4.5 rebounds. Assistant coach Mallory Youngblut is from Davenport, Iowa and played for UND.